Grease for headset bearings

Can anyone recommend a grease to use for my headset bearings. I’d like to use one that can keep out the elements. I use regular muc off grease for most things but I wondered if anyone had any better grease to help keep the weather out. My lower bearings always seem to get full of grit - it is on a gravel bike.

Perhaps I just need to get a new one with a better seal but I’m trying one last hoorah before I click “purchase.”

Just use a good grease. All of the special bike grease formulas are just product coming in industrial drums being repackaged (*) I use Lucas red and tacky grease for everything from cars to power equipment to bikes. $6 a tube at an autoparts store. That is more grease than I’ll use in a lifetime of bike work.

To dispense grease, get a mini-grease gun like the ubiquitous Dualco or Astro for $15. Park sells a pretty blue version for $25 if you want to go bike brand. The GG-1 model.

(*) There are exceptions like Dupont Krytox and other aerospace formulations. Unless your parts specifically call out a type of grease anything decent is fine.

2 Likes

No grease is going to keep grit out, I just use wheel bearing grease because I have a 5 gallon pail of it and clean them out every once in a while. An ultrasonic cleaner makes short work of it then just repack and go. Marine grease would be a good choice too since it won’t wash out easily with water.

1 Like

Second this

The Finish Line grease works great for me