Gravel Locos thread! Who's going? What distance? 5/22/21 in Hico, TX

Got into the Gravel Locos 150 on 5/22/21 in Hico TX. I’m based in Austin and have a few questions -

1. Anyone else going from Austin, interested in riding up together?
  2. Who knows that area? Am I looking at super chunky gravel/rocks or smoother, finer gravel? Planning on riding a 'cross bike with like 35s. Assuming that will be enough…
  3. Planning to have the Camelbak Chase vest, cargo bibs, plus bottles and small top tube bag. Curious what others are bringing.

Also general advice on riding 150mi that you would have wanted someone to tell you, is welcome.

1 Like

I’ll be there doing the 150. Haven’t ever been to that part of TX, so Im totally clueless on what to expect. Hopefully someone can share some first hand info.

Super interested in this and considering grabbing one of the “sponsor” spots but also thinking about Rule of Three in NWA. Currently riding an Allied Allroad that plays nice on groad but planning on building a full gravel bike this spring. If I go I’d likely be coming up from Austin as well.

I’ll be heading over from just East of the DFW area to do the 150. Did 156mi on my Mares CX on the road with 6k elevation, and then did 104mi the next day, and then 103mi the next day, and then 95mi the next for a Relay for Life ride…but 150 on gravel with 8k of climbing intimidates me for sure! Gonna be putting an RX800 rear mech on and an 11/34 cassette. The Mares came with 11/28 & 46/36. I’ll be going to a 50/34 up front too. Plan on using a 2L pack on the back and a 1L bladder in a frame bag of just water. I’ll likely carry 3 bottles with some carbs in them and a few rice cakes & gels in the back pockets. Picked up some Vittoria gravel inserts (after seeing DJ talk about running them at BWR) for my 38mm Gravelking SSs. Good luck to all! Gonna be fun seeing the big hitters ride off from me in a cloud of dust lol!

Not sure if replying to my own post has any effect, but still interested in carpooling with anyone from the Austin area! Staying not in Hico but in Stephenville, close by.