Gps watch for Strava routes?

Hey all,
I’m seeking opinions on what the best GPS smartwatch would be in terms of integration with Strava routes. I plan on using it mainly for hiking, so I can follow a pre-planned hiking route just by glancing down at my wrist. I’m open to all price points, but a live interactive map is a must. I picked up a Samsung Galaxy active 2 from eBay really cheap just to play around with, but I am disappointed with the lack of selection and lack of usefulness for the apps that are available. I’m an Android phone user if that makes a difference. Does anyone have any experience with the wahoo watch?

Thanks in advance.

Did you ever find what you were looking for?

On a related note… I was never very interested in a smart watch, but as my wife has had her Apple Watch for a few years now, I sort of get the attraction. I am entertaining the idea now. BUT! I’ve also started to think about a GPS bike computer (no power meter). I admittedly haven’t kept up with this kind of technology as it has come on the scene. I would like something on which I could load a GPS route (.gpx?) and have it guide me along, whether it be on the road or on MTB trails. I really didn’t want to spend hundreds on a bike computer that I would only sadly rarely use, and also spend hundreds on a smart watch. So, my hope is there is a good watch that will do this navigating for me. I’ve done some research, but as I am a bit out of touch with all this tech, I’d hoped to hear some input straight from you athletes. Thanks!

1 Like

Pretty happy with the Fenix 6 Pro

2 Likes

Suunto has great integration with Strava routes. The app sucks them in, pushes them to your watch, and you’re good to go. It’s my daily driver for both hiking and leisure-pace mtb (on a race day I would put my wahoo bolt on, but on most days I prefer a cleaner cockpit).

1 Like

I decided to stick with my phone for now, I have a smaller wrist so I can 't go much over 40mm in watch size. Watches in this range have smaller screens so they’re difficult to read. I had a Fenix 7s for awhile but I really prefer mechanical watches so I resold it. It worked well functionally though

I would encourage you to check out ebay for a used garmin or wahoo bike computer. You can often find them for under $200 in great condition. Also this week there are lots of great sales if you’re in the US. The wahoo elemnt and garmin 500 series are usually mid range and perform well.

I use a Garmin fenix 5x. I use it with strava for creating running routes when I work away. I also use it for hiking but then I use a different mapping service for that and import the routes in to Garmin connect as a .gpx file

1 Like