Cycling GPS Watch

Hey all.

Which GPS watch for cycling you have been using?

Would love to know and read suggestions from your side.

Thanks!

I have the Varia 3 but I use my edge for cycling.

I have used a Garmin Fenix 5x for years. I used to mount it on my handlebars and it was my sole cycling computer for a while. Now I really only use it to track my MTB rides (on my wrist) and for running.

I bought a Wahoo ELEMNT Roam when it came out for the mapping.

I had a Garmin Forerunner 235 for about 4 years until it died recently, replaced it with a Garmin Instinct Solar in the Black Friday sales and love it.

Suunto Spartan Trainer until I bought a Garmin Edge 830.

Hi mate, I’ve got the Descent MK2i coz I dive a lot and it’s brilliant. It’s the same as the Fenix6s I believe and they are brilliant. I’ve just bought the Garmin 830 though as a dedicated bike computer for power meter and cadence etc. If I’m not using a heart rate strap you can broad cast the heart rate from the watch to the computer.

The Mk2i is Garmins top of the line watch and I still prefer to have a computer also.

Garmin Forerunner 945 - love it.

Garmin fenix 6s. Absolutely love it.

(I use a Garmin 830 as my primary outdoor riding computer through)

I’ve used Fenix 3, then Forerunner 935, and now Forerunner 945. the 945 is my favourite because of the mapping and routing abilities, and the higher resolution screen. I’ve used all of these with the triathlon quick mount kits which works well. I now have an Edge 520 Plus but besides the slightly larger screen, I actually prefer the interface and usability of the 945. I also still use the 945 instead of the 520 for CX racing (on my wrist).

Are you looking to use the watch for multiple activities such as running, or just cycling only? Your best bet is either the Garmin Edge series or Wahoo for cycling. If you plan on doing more than just cycling, then the suggestions above should work. Personally I have the Forerunner 935 for hiking, running, yoga and easy family rides on the cruiser. But on my road, gravel and MTB I use a Garmin Edge 530.

2 Likes

I used a Suunto Ambit 3, then a Fenix 5. Great functionality, but my ageing eyes now prefer the larger screen of my Edge 530.

I am using a Garmin Fenix 6 for MTB and CX. For road a Wahoo ELEMNT Roam.

I used to use my Garmin Fenix 3 HR and it worked good. I’ve since upgraded to a Edge 1030 Plus, as it’s easier to read and navigate off of and it is great.