GP 5000 TL - fitting problems

It’s not a magic bullet. I have one and it’s still a bitch to mount the GP5Ks. It’s the tire not the tool

4 Likes

If your shop tried to do a tubeless setup with just gorilla tape, I’d hesitate to let them work on your stuff further.

2 Likes

Ya not thrilled. Tbh, the owner is a good dude and always takes care of me, but I usually request a specific tech there to work on my stuff because I feel like I know more than most of their mechanics. They are truly a local non-corporate shop so I know it’s tough to be perfect. However, I do most maintenance at home unless it’s shocks or wheel related since those aren’t in my repertoire.

Update though. My amazing home mechanic husband cleared off all the gummed up gorilla tape, used Stan’s tape, and got it to finally seal up. The 5000s had a lot of micro sidewall leaks as well but we coated them pretty well and it’s holding several hours later. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

This was probably mentioned up ^^^ there somewhere but, just in case…

I mounted a set of 5000TL by hand today. Just a minute or two per tire. I let the tires sit out in 90+ degree heat on bricks for a few hours before I mounted them. Made sure the first bead is in the center but, not over the valve core. Also, by accident, a little sealant was on the rim which may have helped slip the second bead over the lip…ymmv

1 Like

a little soapy water also helps with slipping the 2nd bead over the rim

2 Likes

Just saw this review a couple days after reading through this thread. Looks like a pocketable version of the tire jack mentioned in many posts

I posted really early in this thread about the nightmare I had mounting these to my Mavic Cosmic Pro’s.

I thought I’d give the 88mm Yoleo’s a shot on my TT bike, and I hesitantly ordered the conti’s again cuz some science person on the internets tells me they’re fast. :man_shrugging:

I got the wheels today, so to prepare I put the tires out in the sun on my warm truck hood for a bit. Then stretched the bead over my shoulders. Prepared for a fight, I started the process and…they went on super easy. I’m still in shock. Maybe 25 minutes later I had the new cassette on, Stan’s inside, bead seated with the compressor, a pic posted on Instagram to activate it all, and I’m here on the couch wondering what’s going on in the world.

2 Likes

Try soaking the tire in hot water a few minutes before fitting.

I did this, then got a massive nail that wrecked the tire within a month. Now it’s on the right way round :relaxed:

1 Like

Man, I’ve just had this same god damn battle, 700x28s on Fulcrum’s - absolute bitch! Baked those bad boys in the oven which seemed to do the trick only to realise it’s on backwards! Label lines up with the valve though, so almost a win!

4 Likes

GP5K TLs are pretty awful to mount on any rim that I have tried. I have to think they work better with somebody’s wheels but Michelin Power Road is a very comparable tire that is very easy to install compared to the GP5ks, would actually be able to install a tube road side if needed.

2 Likes

Today I did this fight with a set of gp5k TL 32s over Hunt aero wide 34mms. They were by far the most resistant set of tires i have ever tried but I finally won by using 2 plastic woodworking clamps at 10 and 2 oclock and a pair of sturdy levers to pry on a bit more till the clamps were 11 and 1ish then just pried it over with the levers. Its a pretty sturdy AL wheel but I was still concerned how much energy was going into it.

3 Likes

I’ve got the same set up and whilst the 5000TLs seem harder to get over the rim they seem easier to seat and loose less air than other tubeless tyres :thinking:

Soapy water is a frequent recommendation, but I find squirting the liquid soap directly on the tire bead and then spritzing water on it makes it more slippery and easier to get the tires on. I’ve mounted GP5000TLs maybe 5-6 times in the last year and a direct application of soap then adding water has always worked for me. It is a struggle for the first few minutes but will eventually slide on.

Chain Waxing Tutorial

Do a find and replace and change “chain” to “gp5k” and “wax” to “lube”. :rofl:

Just another random data point -

GP5000TL 25s on Hunt aero race wide (19mm internal) alloy rims - under 5 mins a tire but did need levers, and used tire bead jack to finish, which made it quite easy. Done in fairly cool garage, didn’t use heat, soap or any other special tricks. So not anywhere near the hardest but not the easiest I’ve done.

More remarkable was that I didn’t need to resort to an air blast to seat them. A mini camping size compressor seated them with no issues, reaching pressure in about 30 seconds. I’ve never seen that part of the job go so easily! Suggests to me that the factory taping was A+.

Do people really do this with carbon fiber rims?

If this tire is this hard to get on, how do you expect to change a tire on the side of the road?

Never had a need to in 20k+ miles, so no idea :smiley:. It would likely be slightly easier to fit a tube after tire has a few hundred miles on it, but would still be quite a challenge on some rims. I also carry plugs but haven’t ever needed them yet either.

I’ve done it on two different sets of CF rims. But, you absolutely do not want to try to do as shown in the photo. The trick is to position the center lever used for prying right next to the clamp levers and take little bitty bites slowly working the *$%@& GP 5000 TL onto the rim. The pressure needed when right next to the clamping levers if very small. It it feels too difficult move the prying lever closer to the clamping levers. In fact, it is the only way I’ve been able to get them on my rims.

Yep. Exactly why I now run GP 5000 Clinchers. The whole TL process is just too much of a hassle and added expense for the one puncture I get every few thousand miles. Plus, I knew if I ever need to install a tube on the road it probably wasn’t going to happen. Even getting them off the rim is a struggle.

Tire plugs or bust.