Got a Varia (yeah), But Now Saddle Bag Doesn’t Fit

I ran into the same issue when I bought one. I can put the mount below the seatpost clamp on both of my frames, lowers it down a good 20mm. Might be enough (if you can do it)?

I also have a Cycliq, which is my problem. On the short term I tossed my stuff in my backpack for commuting, and my jersey pockets for rides. But I prefer a saddlebag and will be getting one of those 3D printed mounts that bolts to the Specialized SWAT mounts on the saddle.

Please, oh please…

Stop that bullshit.

I can only speak for myself here, but I routinely do solo unsupported centuries. Typically once a week. My worst ride was 5 flats, alone, with no cell reception.

2 Likes

you seem to have more cycling accessoires in your bag than I own.
do you really need all of that?

i cycle now for many many years and not once did I need the stuff I had in the cycle bag. so, maybe time to just leave it at home.

I have a Varia too and it is of utmost importance that the radar is neither blocked nor somehow manipulated in function.

maybe you should have taken the 2nd flat as a sign of the cycling gods and call it a day. I have luckily never had a flat but even if the stuff in the bag would not have helped. I always carry enough cash and a phone. that was enough. I would not carry so much stuff just for the loose possibility of a flat and hoping that in this case these tools would really help me out.

If you want to stash a lot in your bag and still keep it close up into your saddle, have a look at Speedsleev. I had the recommendation from this forum a couple of years ago and it’s absolutely amazing. I have the medium sized one (used for a couple of mass participation rides where punctures were a big issue - long story) but I’m going to get the smaller one that can still hold a tube and a few extras. Great quality and value.

I also joined the Varia owners club last week. I am staggered at how good and confidence inspiring it is. Wish I’d bought one years ago.

4 Likes

I do unsupported centuries.

1 Like

Frame bag or tool bottle :+1::

1 Like

Lots of great suggestions - you guys are the best! I ended up attaching it to the Giant bag through the logo. Hopefully will get to try it outside this weekend. Thanks!!

8 Likes

I use a zip-tie to hold the saddle bag higher. Without it, it would be down to where the light is:

2 Likes

It may just be the camera angle, but it looks like if you tightened the strap, the saddle bag may sit up closer to the saddle rails, and out of the way of the Varia?

I do unsupported solo centuries with no bag. I used to do 1 a month (I’ve not did one since May last year due to covid). I’ve ditched the 2nd tube and carry Parks patches giving me room in my pockets. For food, small multitool (with chain breaker) phone (bag is wallet), pump, tubeless repair kit and 11sp link.

I’ve actually touch wood needed anything other than the food and the tubeless repair kit once.

1 Like

I had the same and the seat post./saddle bag would switch off the varia!!!

Solution 1: put some velcro around the seat sost velcro to keep the bag high.
Effect - Velcro caught bib shorts and damaged them!!!

Solution 2: Bought the proper varia seat post clamp. (not the rubber bung type) Tightened the velcro that went around the seat post.
Effect: Seems to have lowered and better positioned the varia, and now teh bag does not switch the varia off. Garmin Varia Seat-post Quarter Turn Mount | Merlin Cycles

Solution seems to be to keet the strap around the seat post high in sone way (elastic band?) and so stop it dropping onto the light/radar.

…and no I do not want a load of metalic solid stuff in my pockets in case I come off. (Especially a CO2 canister FGS!). I put food and spare clothing (and mask) in my jersey pockets.

1 Like

I haven’t had issues with powering off my Varia as I have a lot of seat post to work with, but I still do the same (zip tie bag to saddle rail) just to keep the bag up high and tight.

I still really like some of the creative solutions and alternate bag options noted in this thread, and may check them out further myself.

Check out timestamp 24:49 this really works very well as long as that strap across the back has a gap behind it.

4 Likes

Flats 1-3 were while I was alone and out of cell range.

I get a flat every few hundred to few thousand miles (current tires are THICK). Considering I ride 10-15 thousand miles a year, that isn’t a loose possibility, it’s an inevitability.

I’m an ultra distance rider and runner.

@sarah, thanks! That is exactly what I did!

They’re probably all on here and don’t carry spare as they ruin the look of the bike! (or whatever reason people are using)

On a related note, I’m not normally carrying a tube, and if I am I’m carrying one - so won’t be giving that away. I’m happy to stop and offer help, but they get the option of instant patches or a permanent patch :smiley:

I’d like to think I’d be cruel enough to ride off if they didn’t know how to patch a tube, but tbh I’d probably just do it myself…

1 Like

Upgrade!! That thing is huge… :wink: I run this version. Silca Primo Roll

4 Likes

you won the forum today

Varia is amazing. Mine is 2 years old now and best thing I bought for my bike accessory wise.

1 Like

The problem with that is the Varia doesnt tend to be in the best position. I know I did try this myself. Best solution was to get rid of the bad at the back and leave the varia. Short people with the seat low tend to have this issue.

I ditched the on bike bag all together and moved to this:

yeah it takes up a pocket but it can also store your phone which takes up a pocket anyway.

1 Like