Getting started on TR

I’m a guy in my early 60’s. Been cycling several… a bit more than several years. Raced on the road, 5 years on Zwift (1,500 hours). Averaged Zwift /road combined about 18,000 kms a year for the last 5 years. Until this year due to interstate relocation… buy/sell…. major distractions over nearly 6 months. That caused a massive cut in volume.

Anyhow, I’ve been trying to keep in touch with fitness by focusing on high intensity Zwift sessions, and I did some TR hit outs as well, so I’m still thereabouts. Now, I’m ready to get serious again with the view to performing well on the road this coming summer. The vague plan is to do LV TR and Zwift. Probably nothing outside, just crush it indoors until I’ve hit a target. Bit random but maybe 3.6 w/kg. I’m currently 68 kg but looking to drop back to 66.

So here’s the question, I completed a ramp test a few months back when my fitness had dropped off, and as expected the result showed the need for work to be done. I have uploaded a screen shot of a Zwift ride from a few days ago and would be interested in any comments that would help me decipher where I might be at currently and what approach would be effective. Recorded using a Kickr V5. I had been using a Neo 2 T until a week ago and results are similar. I use Assioma Duos on the road BTW. Highly recommended.
Cheers.

Daft question - why not just do another (TR) ramp test?

I don’t know that I could decipher much from a single 30 min Zwift ride. If you want to look at a ‘modelled’ power curve to get a feel for where you’re at, and to compare to similar age cohorts etc, then a simple/cheap option compared to tools like WKO etc is to use https://intervals.icu/ (linked to your Strava or Garmin Connect).

1 Like

Yea, so that”s not a daft question. It’s booked in :rofl:

1 Like

Definitely use the same power meter indoors and outdoors. Do not rely on your trainer’s built-in power meter.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I’m into numbers. This will keep me occupied for quite some time :exploding_head:

Assume you are talking about the ramp test here. I would choose a different way of phrasing your goal. Something that doesn’t use the ramp test. All kinds of negative effects come from making ramp test results the goal of your training. It can be used to roughly calibrate your training zones but you will and should outgrow it even for that.

True 1hr power (tested using a 1hr max effort) is on the other hand a fine goal. Even better is a goal that has direct consequences for an event that you might see yourself completing.

1 Like

Yea ramp test to start with. I do see there can be issues with achieving an accurate result using that method. I’m guessing it’s a one size fits all approach which doesn’t necessarily fit everyone. Probably a good starting point though. I’ll be interested to see where I land when I do it next week as I have a rough idea of where I’m at.

I would be careful with this approach. You may handle it okay because it’s lower hours but it will be nearly all high intensity. The LV TR plans are higher intensity to make up for the lack of hours and then Zwift races are also high intensity. This could lead to some gnarly fatigue. However, if those Zwift sessions are going to be just some endurance spinning then that would work well.

I’m assuming from this post that you’re in the Southern Hemisphere, so it’s winter now? If that’s the case then it makes more sense but I wouldn’t completely write off outdoor rides. If it isn’t too brutally cold or snowy where you are then I wouldn’t fight the urge to ride outside. You can get a great workout in and after being stuck inside for weeks it provides an amazing motivation boost and mental reset. Obviously if you don’t want to go outside then don’t but don’t avoid it just because you think indoors is better training.

Thanks, good advice. Yea, freezing in the Alpine region of Southern OZ. And, it has not stopped raining for weeks. And, we are currently in BOGUS lockdown with a 5km exercise restriction. So thankful to have the ability to train indoors.

1 Like