Getting help with updating resume for next career

I need your help… Today, I was on my trainer, and I thought maybe I would ask the question or help here. I am not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I am in this community, and hopefully, this might help me and others.

I have a job at the moment, but I have been wanting to change my career. Well, all I need to do is to take a small step.

UPDATE RESUME!

It has been many years since I have done it, and I think I am rusty… Before I was able to put myself in university career center for advice, go to a library or coffee shop to work on my resume, but the current situation won’t allow me to do that at the moment.

Do you have any experience with hiring a resume writer or an online course for updating resume?
How do/did you update your resume? (I am expecting “google it” comment :sweat_smile:)

I think I get more motivated if I put myself in a place where other people are also working towards the same goal. That’s why I used to go to a library or coffee shop for motivation. I am just really not enjoying the work I do, and updating the resume has been a struggle for me.

Also, thinking ahead, I get stressed out by thinking about interviews where they might ask me about the current position. It is kind of hard to explain to others when I am not really proud of myself at work…

Anyways, any input would be appreciated!

So I’ve done a tonne of hiring over the years, all in tech (although I’ve helped interview for non-tech roles), and all UK (London specifically) based. My other half also does the odd bit of hiring in a totally different sector and it’s very different between the two industries.

My bar for CV’s is quite low, I’ll even take typo’s as long as you don’t have something along the lines of good attention to detail listed :slight_smile: But I will go and check things (twitter, linked in etc). I want to see what you have been doing and why you think you’ve got the skills for the role I’m hiring for.

In tech this is generally easy(ish) as we generally have a list of skills on the job ad. Even if you don’t have all of them it’s worth applying - I’m generally looking for smart people that can do the job, not that you’ve got x years in a particular language (although that’s generally a bonus).

In tech we don’t generally get cover letters (but it does happen sometimes) - my other half always expects one.

Try and keep things concise - I’ve had 9 page CV’s before and they are a pain to read. I’ve had people summarise at the top, then go into detail below, which sort of helps, but if i like it then I’m going to have to read the whole thing for due diligence.

I try and think of a CV as a way of getting in the door to get to the interview. If you are switching careers then a cover letter would probably help explaining your reasons, and why you think you would be good in the role you have applied for.

That probably doesn’t help a huge amount - what I’m trying to get across is sometimes it’s very industry dependant what a CV / Resume should contain.

With regard to interview - this is very easy to say, and hard to do, but relax and try and treat it as a conversation. You can’t prep for every question they might ask, but there’s a bunch of standard questions that might come up - a lot of this will be industry specific.

make sure you have researched the company, and it’s the right company. I used to work at one place that had the same name as another tech firm and people would often describe what the other firm did ! Checkout the people interviewing you on Linked in as well as the wider company - see if you have any connections that can give you insight.

Have some questions that you want answered ready for them - one trick I use when I’m being interviewed is have them written down, if they answer the questions you had you can tick them off and it shows you have thought about it. I take quite a few notes during interview so I can remember things afterwards.

Remember that an interview is a two way street - it’s as much about you looking at the company as it is the company looking at you. Also best to think you are on interview slightly before you get there, and slightly after (incase you bump into anyone in the street on the way in or out !).

What triggered me writing this was seeing this on twitter - seemed like it might help

That turned out longer than I was expecting ! Hope it helps If you are wanting tech advice DM me - am more than happy to try and help.

Linsey

6 Likes

Thanks for your thoughtful reply! I really appreciate it. :star_struck:

Somehow, I got flagged on my original post, and I am not sure how to edit it to fix the issue…

It is interesting to hear that you actually read through 9 page long CV. I thought that if it is too much work, they would immediately toss it and move on to the next in the pile.
I haven’t had a chance to read the link posted yet, but I will read it and get back to you.

I just wanted to give you a quick response as I haven’t really responded to your comment.
Again, thank you for your input. :grin:

1 Like

Does anyone know what to do when your post is flagged?

It has been a while since the flag is up, and I haven’t heard anything from anyone.
I want to make sure that I am learning from a mistake, but without the feedback, I don’t know what i did wrong… :sweat:

It was flagged as “off topic” or something similar. I decide it was not correct, and left it in place. You placed it int the “Uncategorized” category, which is correct and acceptable AFAIK. Nothing to worry about IMO.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick response! I am glad that I wasn’t doing something incorrectly.

Does it take sometime to appear normally?
Looks like the original content still have the same message and the content is “hidden.”

I just showed it (sorry, I didn’t realize it was still hidden or I would have done it sooner).

1 Like