Getting dizzy when standing up

6’2 here, perhaps has something to do with height alright.

5’8" here, so no :smile:

I also get this and have benefited from the posts regarding salt. I’m currently not eating much (added) salt as I have a toddler in the house so we’re not adding it to food. I’ll try and up my intake. Thanks for sharing.

I used to experience this also. Usually within 2 hours of finishing over-exercising. I put it down to low blood sugar from not eating enough quickly enough after finishing the exercise. I haven’t experienced it lately.

Yep, I get it also.

I had the same experience, for me it seemed like being super on top of hydration really helped. I had to drink way more than I ever thought was necessary, makes sense given what people have pointed to about dilation of cardio vascular system and simultaneously losing blood volume due to dehydration

Same here. First 2 hours are the worst, also usually after hard vo2 intervals or if i sprinted heavily. Even blacked out few times last summer.

Yup. Get that too. I drink more water (dehyration mentioned above), and i just sit up and count to 5 before standing. Only happens during heavy workouts, TR, skiing, etc.

As a cyclist, salt is your friend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I get that too. I’ve never been formally diagnosed but, after pursuing the internet to see if I was about to die, I’m pretty sure for me it is low blood pressure combined with a low heart rate resulting in your body taking a second or two to react to necessary changes in blood flow when you stand up. The old blood rushing out of your head thing.

My little dizzy spells are consistent enough I can kind of use them as gauge of my fitness. The fitter I am, the more likely I am to have a little dizzy spell when standing up.

Just adding a little me too . Thought it was just me and getting old, so quite glad to see it is quite a common thing. I have a low resting HR and it was usually after a big effort so kind of guessed it was nothing too serious, but I have to be careful I don’t end up on the floor and someone telling me that they knew exercise was bad for you.

Nah, 5’7. :man_shrugging:

I have it too, and this is what doctor told me was the cause.

More info here:

Causes

When you stand up, gravity causes blood to pool in your legs and abdomen. This decreases blood pressure because there’s less blood circulating back to your heart.

Normally, special cells (baroreceptors) near your heart and neck arteries sense this lower blood pressure. The baroreceptors send signals to centers in your brain, which signals your heart to beat faster and pump more blood, which stabilizes blood pressure. These cells also narrow the blood vessels and increase blood pressure.

Orthostatic hypotension occurs when something interrupts the body’s natural process of counteracting low blood pressure. Many different conditions can cause orthostatic hypotension, including:

1 Like

It’s our license to drink even more coffee :slight_smile:

1 Like

This happens to me when I find myself digging into a larger calorie deficit than I intended.