General hip and leg muscle check: how and where

Yep, I had both L and R done by the Doctor Marc J. Philippon in Colorado. He invented the procedure to repair the Labrum. My twin brother also had his L and R Done in NYC by one of Philippon’s old fellows. It is a difficult recovery process but the outcome is fantastic.
In my opinion, if you do have a labral tare get it fixed as soon as possible. The longer you go the more damage you do the cartilage in that joint. This will ultimately lead to a future hip replacement.
I know most people will say that there are alternatives to surgery and that is true. However, depending on the shape of the femoral head it might not allow for a natural healing process. This is because a deformed femoral head restricts the range of motion placing stress and damage to the labrum.

These are just my experiences.

There is a doc here in Nashville named Thomas Byrd - Interestingly enough I have heard of Phillipon - I don’t have cam but very mild pincer hip - I’m going to go ahead and get re-evaluated soon but really want to do just one more race season this summer. My pain is very minimal but it was higher a few months ago before I started up with PT again.

How long was the recovery process per hip? Luckily the left hip is good - just a fluke tear -

I had my Mtb saddle 20mm too far back when I switched out and did ORAMM on it.

Wish I could go back in time and put the saddle on right.

Thanks for your insight. I hope I haven’t waited too long. Likely it’s the reason I can’t get my ftp up above 220-230 anymore… :frowning:

Bugger, I’ve had the FAI, 5 yrs ago, after 2 yrs of undiagnosed issues, believe you’d be amazed at what they checked for, until accidentally I discovered by brother was having hip issues then suddenly I had them. Anyway I was so relieved to have a diagnosis that I went for the surgery (both sides). It worked, kind of, except the recovery and required rehab wasn’t managed well by me and by the professionals. I’ve had issues since.
I believe good ROM and strength training of core and hips would have saved me the pain.

So I had surgery for hip labral tear. 10 weeks out. Bugger of a recovery but I can tell it’s better. Hopeful for a return to racing.

1 Like