Garmin Varia Radar mount with D shaped seat post

Not a direct solution, but the updated Garmin mounts apparently include a new D-shape insert, so they have addressed it for future buyers.

1 Like

Yes, the Garmin Varia Universal Seat-post Quarter Turn Mount kit now includes a “D” shaped shim. It works well on my Domane SLR. I tried the round seat post mount before getting the “D” shaped shim and didn’t like the fit at all so ended up returning it.

Be aware that the original kit only came with the round and aero shaped shims. Several of us ordered these kits and even though the photo showed the three shims on the Garmin website they arrived with only the original two. But after returning the original order and waiting a few weeks Garmin went through and added the “D” shim to all the kits on the shelf so all was well. Point being it is probably best to buy directly from Garmin. Other vendors might not have the updated kits yet. But with the ongoing Garmin company wide issues it will probably be a while before they can be ordered.

2 Likes

I have a round post, but my saddlebag doesn’t really leave enough room for the varia. Sometimes the bag will push the button, and in any event the light is hidden unless your eyes are below the height of my bag. There’s some 3d printed doodads on amazon to attach the varia to the back of various bags, but they seem unreasonably expensive. I fashioned a mount from a small piece of pvc that slots perfectly into a loop on mine – not pretty, but easy on/off.

Here is a great solution for under $10

You can add one of these if you want to stick out a bit farther back so you can have a saddle bag

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWZHQ16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and you can also add one of these in there if you want to add a GoPro or any other camera

3 Likes

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I have had a problem with my Varia slipping on my Venge Aero seatpost. I came across this thread a while back but never followed through. I was going to use one of the shapeways that went to the junction box on my seat post but I did not like how high it would mount. Anyway I decided to give the sugru a go and wow!

Great advice!

4 Likes

Nice work - looks great!

That looks neat :ok_hand: I swap my Varia between my commuter, leisure and TT bikes, the latter has a D shaped post. Im using electrical tape over the mount to stop the light slipping to one side of the post. It looks OK IMO (electrical tape) and is nice and secure but its a pain to remove when I want to use the varia on my other bikes. I think Garmin have included a D post mount with the new Varia but I don’t think I want to upgrade at the moment.

Yeah I’m very happy with it Grayam made a great call! I do have the new Veria and it came with the D Mount but it’s still slipped all over the place on my Venge as my seat post is narrower than the mount. How I did it I did not use any of the mounts but used the Sugru right inside the mount itself. If I was to do it again I would use the D post mount and just add sugru to it fyi! For you that would probably be a good call so you can switch out inserts still

1 Like

A few 3d printer shapes mentioned here:

Venge here. My solution was a GoPro mount accessory kit with a curved arm. Think the whole thing was like $12. I like this because it’s rock solid, the radar is perpendicular to the road, and most importantly it’s out and highly visible from under the seat (and my SWAT flat kit).

8 Likes

Surely not very aero though :slight_smile:

Of course not, but I don’t use this except on my training setup where I don’t care anyway.

Wow Graham, such a great call! After using the setup for about 2 weeks it hasn’t moved a centimeter! Sugru is the answer!:+1:

1 Like

My LBS manufacture mounts specifically for specialized saddles

219-472-0478

3 Likes

Anyone found a bolt on solution for a d- shaped seat post? I have the mount below for my round seat post and love how rock solid it is. My medium sized saddle bag attaches under the seat and to the seat post so there is no real estate for a mount there. I’ve also found that attaching the Varia to the back of the saddle bag causes it to move around too much and drop connection with my head unit.

I made custom 3d printed that works for sl7. Can send you the files if this seatpost shape would work for you and if you can print it somewhere.

2 Likes

Awesome, yes pls!

Hi Mazak,

would you send me the files, too? :slight_smile:

BR
Marvin

KOM makes one that will conform to nearly all posts: Garmin Varia Mount – KOM Cycling

Not true, does not work with d-shaped, even though they say it does. Do not buy. I bought one and returned it, no way to make it secure without mods listed here.

3 Likes