Garmin Training Status

Every outside Z2 ride I do gets a big fat “Unproductive”… :man_shrugging:

What gives there? Is it just totally fixated on VO2max?

1 Like

Damn those pros getting it so wrong!

Is that Z2 power or Z2 HR?

Don’t worry about it. I know if you are doing too much work (according to the algorithm) it’ll suggest you are unproductive. Garmin Connect will give you some further insights on the web or app if you drill in. It probably wants you doing some harder efforts.

I wouldn’t trust that as far as I could throw it.

My “smart” Nest thermostat thinks I don’t need to set a schedule because it can predict what time I get up every morning. It’s wrong.

1 Like

Forget the Garmin Training Status metric.

1 Like

I never mind those metrics. However. If you use your Garmin to track ALL your workouts and not just the ones outside you would probably get more accurate data. Since I bought my Garmin 1030 I’ve been getting pretty spot on readings. Doing POL training now. Sort of.

I run an Ipad/Mac with TR + Tacx Neo + Garmin HRM Dual, then I have my Assiomas and Garmin Dual hooked up to my 1030. Basically because I want to check so that they’re aligned power-wise, and because I don’t want to loose training stats because of a crash of some sort.

I guess most don’t have powermeters on all their bikes AND a smart trainer but if you do that’d be my recommendation. Use your 530 more. It can connect via ANT+ and the Ipad via BT.

I rode with a TickrX before the Garmin Dual. :joy:

However use the PM/Cadence/Speed individually on the Garmin and let TR be in control of your Neo. That would be my advice. You need the power and H/R for Garmin’s metrics to work properly.

don’t get me started on Nest smart features … I’m going to turn the heating on @ 2am so it’s hot enough to wake you up and warm for the 30 minutes you’re up before leaving in the morning

My Nest t’stat is a pile of garbage too. Sadly, it has made me gun-shy about trying a different brand of smart thermostat too, because the experience has been so miserable with Nest.

Like I said you need to give it a bit of time before it learns your pattern of workout intensity. I got 3,5 days recovery yesterday from my VO2Max-intervals however my status is productive and training load is optimal both on my Fenix 5X Plus and 1030. Also my VO2Max estimate went up by a point… :unamused:

2 Likes

Interesting reading. I did the ftp test today using Fenix 5x. I improved my ftp and vo2max. I am feeling really good and sharp but the training status says I have to have 3.5 days off. Very strange, I have not decided if I will or just do some very low intensity stuff for a day or two

1 Like

Garmin training status appears to be garbage. I use my 1030 to record all training and same issue - every recovery ride drops my vo2max and says I’m unproductive. It’s damn annoying.

I don’t have the same issue with running vo2max however which I record on my watch. I suspect it is an issue with the 1030 not using anything other than the current ride to calculate vo2… not really sure but you aren’t alone

2 Likes

If you don’t record a ride on the Garmin then as far as the Garmin training metrics go, it didn’t happen. So I’ve been running my 945 in parallel with TR and then just deleting the garmin’s file from Strava. Though if you remember to start it at the same time as TR sometimes it never shows up. Since I started doing that the training status seems more in line with what is happening but still not something I’m using to dictate my training at all. I just couldn’t stand having it be so wrong.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think you can see that stuff on Connect. But if I record an activity on my 945 then it will show up on my 830 and influence eachother’s metrics. So obviously the stats are being passed through Connect. But I think they want you to buy their new devices in order to access the feature.

It is rather annoying and I bought a watch and head unit so that all of my data runs through Garmin Connect.

My favorite thing however is when I smashed my all time 5 and 20 minute best power PR’s by a mile and after the workout it asked me if I wanted to lower my FTP. I got this after a race I won out of a pretty big field. I was pretty pumped to have won, hit end workout, “A new FTP has been detected :point_down:.” The best was during the TR ramp test when my TR test suggested I raise my FTP and Garmin gave me the :point_down:

I know others have found it to be accurate but for some reason I must be the outlier.

I love watching my CTL slowly grow with a TSB averaging the mid-teens while Garmin says I’m being “unproductive”

2 Likes

My 530 was working for me quite ok, until a couple of outside workouts where windy conditions caused erratic HR way above my max and since then it show just some random stuff. Oh well, will have to wait till next winter :wink:

Its ok for looking at “the big picture”

as it hides the “interesting” day-to-day status. I don’t really pay much attention to it.

More interesting is Training Effect for each ride, and Load Focus trends.

2 Likes

I was getting some other strange stuff like being unproductive even though I was doing many long outside rides. I realized that my Garmin 810 doesn’t talk to GC with the training status stuff. Now I ride with both my Fenix5 and 810 both running, it’s so I can see what’s happening while riding. I then discard the 810 and save the Fenix5. Bit of a pain but can’t really afford an new bike computer right now.

Seem to be getting some reasonable data now which I can then choose to follow depending on how I feel in myself