Garmin Rally Power Meter Pedals: Look Road, Shimano Road & MTB

Just picked up the rally XC pedals. Unfortunately I have a garmin 130 plus that does not support cycling dynamics. I do have a runner 945 as well that does support cycling dynamics.

What fields are best to track while riding for cycling dynamics. I am curious the best way to use the data. I am only allowed 6 fields on the watch and am looking for suggestions. Thank you!

Do you need to have them?

Have a look here at what the different things are: Cycling Science | Garmin Technology | United States

I have L/R balance on some pages, as well as the auto cycling dynamics page on some workout setting. But I don’t think you will gain much (if anything) from looking at the cycling dynamics stuff.

Power phase is good if you are doing work on your pedal stroke (especially on a track bike on the rollers), but everyone is different and each leg will be slightly different so if you have 6-186 on one and 4-190 on the other, it doesn’t mean you need to work on getting them to be equal. Seated/standing you should know when you’re doing it, so it’s only really…um cool(?)… to look at in Garmin Connect afterwards.

I just have lap power average, power 3s, elapsed time and that’s it for outside workouts. I do have a second screen with 8 data fields and have everything I can on there. It’s tough to look at if your doing anything above sweet spot.
Like how it was said above, cycling dynamics are good if you want to improve pedal stroke. I don’t think it’s some thing I’ve been missing out on. I do notice that lower intensities my left leg does most the work but then higher intensity is my right leg does most to work, in the end it comes out to pretty much 50-50.

1 Like

If the pedals read low compared to the trainer does the scale factor need to be made lower or higher?

Scale it up over 1. Mine is set to 1.02 to account for a 48/52 % difference in my L/R power, and Im using one sided power pedals vs my Quarq pm which is dual sided.

Does it matter (I’m asking the question for my own education)?

If you use PowerMatch I think TR is getting pedal-generated power, your bike outside will be pedal-generated power and your FTP is pedal-generated power. I’ve always understood there to be small differences between power meters.

I always assumed that the pedals would read higher. In my case my pedals read almost perfectly with my KICKR Core and about 6% off from my TACX Neo. I’ve not tinkered with any scaling.

At least in my case I’m trying to triangulate some modicum of consistency between my XC100, Vector 3 and Kickr. In particular I noticed a large drop in FTP test results once I switched the XC100s which could be a calibration issue or could be that I really did lose that much fitness :sob:

1 Like

Makes total sense…I’ll post my DC Analyzer File links if they help. I was doing the exact same thing and my FTP also dropped (when taken on my Neo). Now that my KICKR and XC200s are close I’m feeling like they are just fine. Good luck getting it sorted. I’m interested in what you turn up.

Cheers

Tim

2 Likes

Just got a set of Garmin Rally XC200. Not ridden outside with them yet, but have done a quick Zwift to compare power data with Kickr v4. The XCs are reading about 4% higher than the Kickr, whereas my Assioma Duos read about 3% lower than the Kickr. Dunno what to believe anymore :man_shrugging:. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Would you just scale the XCs down and the Assiomas up to match the Kickr so that at least I can use power-based training indoors, road riding and off-road?

Good question. I use my XC200s with two trainers. With PowerMatch, TrainerRoad always matches whatever my XC200s are reporting. I’ve used the DC Analyzer tool to compare. So, at this point, I have not scaled anything. I’m thinking the minor difference (in my case) is not significant and I am using the RallyXC200s as baseline since I use them on both bikes and trainers. I am sure someone smarter than me will chime in.

Here is an example of my ride today. Zwift was recording the Neo broadcasting data via Ant+. TrainerRoad was recording via BLE from my Rally’s and my Garmin Edge was recording the Rally’s via Ant+.

Static weight test (which is my default answer these days) both the Assioma and XP200. It’s not a perfect test, but it’ll give you an indication if something is off. From there you’ll have a better idea what should be scaled, what is good, and what should be shot at the sun.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @TimmyR

@GPLama thanks for the suggestion. I’ve ordered a calibrated weight. Assuming this turns up before the weekend I’ll do a static weight test with the Assioma Duos and the Garmin XC200s and report back.

If anyone knows where I can find the manual for how to perform the static weight test with the Garmin Rally XC200 I’d be interested in hearing.

1 Like

whoever suggested torqueing them up to spec, thanks a lot! My pedals were consistencly reading 10w lower than my kickr core. Now that I have torqued them up, they read identical 99% of the time, and about 1-3w different 1% of the time. So pretty much perfect! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Following is the interaction I had with Garmin Support relating to performing a static weight test with the Garmin Rally XC200.

TLDR - you can only perform the static hanging weight test if you have a compatible Garmin Edge head unit. If you’re using a Karoo 2 like me you’re SOL.

[12:37:02] bdb : I can’t locate the manual for how to perform a static hanging weight test for the Garmin Rally XC200
[12:37:03] Session started between bdb and Samuel. Please give me a moment to look into your issue and I will be right with you.
[12:37:46] Samuel :

Hello, thanks for contacting Garmin. You’re speaking to Samuel.

[12:38:06] Samuel : Have you looked at this - https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-F384D11E-79B0-4D97-BB69-DD8922C20299/EN-US/Rally_series_OM_EN-US.pdf
[12:39:09] bdb : I don’t think there’s any information in that manual for performing a static hanging weight test
[12:39:18] bdb : Have I missed it?
[12:39:23] Samuel : Thank you for this information, please give me a moment to look into this :slight_smile:
[12:43:04] Samuel : Rally RS/RK/XC - Performing a Static Torque Test
[12:44:22] Samuel : You can also view it on page 12 of the manual
[12:44:24] Samuel : This is an automated message, I haven’t heard from you in a while. Would you like to continue chatting?
[12:45:00] bdb : There is no link to “torque test” Rally™ XC200 | Garmin Support
[12:46:31] bdb : In the manual, it only describes doing a “static zero calibration”. There is no information on how to perform a static hanging weight test.
[12:46:53] Samuel : One moment please :slight_smile:
[12:48:52] Samuel : Is this what you are referring to - Vector Power Meter Advanced Torque Test /

‘Vector owners can perform a static torque test on each pedal to see if it is operating within spec. The range should be +/- 2% of expected torque by hanging a known load on each pedal.’

[12:49:15] Samuel : If not can you explain in more detail please? :slight_smile:
[12:50:57] bdb : Yes. That is the test I’m referring to. It looks like I have to have a Garmin Edge device to perform the test. Is that correct?
[12:52:41] Samuel : Yes that is correct :slight_smile:
[12:52:50] Samuel : The static torque test is intended for advanced cyclists and installation experts. This test is not required under normal circumstances to achieve good results with the Rally™ system. This test is available for compatible Edge® devices.
[12:54:50] bdb : I don’t have a Garmin Edge head unit. I’m using a Karoo 2. Can the test be performed using an app instead?
[12:55:03] Samuel : I am afraid not sorry for this
[12:55:33] bdb : So there’s no way to perform the static torque test without a Garmin Edge?
[12:55:41] Samuel : That is correct :slight_smile:
[12:55:49] bdb : Oh no.
[12:56:14] Samuel : Apologies for this, is there anything else I can help you with today
[12:56:34] bdb : This isn’t made clear in the literature. Can I return the pedals for a refund?
[12:56:48] Samuel : Where did you purchase them from and when?
[12:57:08] bdb : I purchased them from Sigma about 1 week ago.
[12:57:22] Samuel : Okay well you would need to talk to them :slight_smile:
[12:58:15] Samuel : Is there anything else I can help you with today?
[12:59:10] bdb : I don’t think so. Can you suggest to Garmin that they make the static weight test available through the app so that there aren’t more disappointed customers like me?
[12:59:28] Samuel : Many of the comments/suggestions we receive (such as yours) are often evaluated towards potential implementation into future Garmin products or current unit software releases. We cannot guarantee that what you have suggested will be implemented, however we do appreciate you passing along your opinions. Please share your ideas with us at the following page on our website: Share Ideas | Garmin
[12:59:39] Samuel : Thanks for contacting Garmin today, you will shortly receive a copy of the chat transcript via email. If you need any further help please visit our Support Centre. I hope you have a good day! :slight_smile:
[12:59:47] Samuel : The conversation has ended. If you still need help please get back in touch!

I recently did the static torque test with my Garman rally xc 200s. It ended up being less a 1% difference
. I only did it because I wanted to see you what would happen and also if that was the reason why They read 10 watts under my stages power meter. That is when I figured out to crank down the pedals like you don’t want to take them off, reset all angles every time you get on a different bike using the pedals, turning off the automatic zero, and calibrating before every ride (are usually calibrate after about 10 minutes of writing to make sure they get up to The temperature of the environment. They still read 10 water under stages but I can’t compare it to different companies. Therefore I’m leaving it how it is and not messing with the scale factor because at this time it seems unnecessary.

Pardon my hacked writing speak to text doesn’t work too well and I’m at work :laughing:

1 Like

I 've noticed the same thing between my garmin xc200 pedals and my kickr. The pedals are about 10 - 15 watts lower. Seems consistent though, so for my purposes - i.e. pacing long climbs on my MB - I have no issues with it.

How are people feeling about Garmin reliability these days? Are the issues pretty well documented and taken care of now that we’re several generations in?

I was thinking about getting a pedal based power meter within the next half a year or so, and was looking at Speedplay Powrlink, Favero Assioma, and Garmin RS200.

The Speedplays aren’t even out yet, and will be the most expensive of the bunch for me. I currently ride standard Speedplays. The Assioma are obviously a crowd favorite, and would be quite a bit cheaper. Garmin has the Shimano offering (not a fan of Favero’s solution), and I have access to a discount with them that brings the price down to $719, roughly in line with the Assioma.

Is there anything I should be aware of that might push me in one direction or another?

Using a torque wrench to tighten to specs solved my problem!

2 Likes

Guess I need to invest in a proper torque wrench (finally)

And get the 15mm claw foot too.

4 Likes