Garmin Edge 840 predictions / wishlist

I would forgo all of the above just to be able to toggle the tones on/off during an activity quickly - currently it’s 9 touch screen presses on the 830 I think?

1 Like

Recently I was surprised that ClimbPro put a 2.2 mile / 10% classic area climb into a much longer climb:

ClimbPro-Prospectors

Definitely some room for enhancing ClimbPro. And regarding auto-detect w/o a route, I agree there are UI challenges but still think something reasonable is possible.

1 Like

Routes/tracks aren’t labelled/listed by filename but by a field called “name” in the file:

< trk >
< name>west-linton

< /trk>

It just happens that most GPX software gives the same name to the file as that field. I checked out the schema http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd for the above file and found:

GPX documents contain a metadata header, followed by waypoints, routes, and tracks. You can add your own elements to the extensions section of the GPX document.
and
keywords: Keywords associated with the file. Search engines or databases can use this information to classify the data.

So it’s already possible for software to both add labels and read them without changing the file format.

Not sure if the 8xx or 1xxx series already do it but my 520 only had a single tone for all alerts, so Power Low/Power High/Turn ahead/etc. all had the same tone and you needed to check the unit quite quickly to see which it was. Having separate tones (and polyphonic tones) for each would be useful.

Another thing I’d like is some control over navigation icons. In poor visibility (or just a bumpy road!) the arrows can be hard to make out. I could just get a 10xx, but I don’t want a bigger screen, just better arrows! So either just make them bigger / better, have a MAX READABLE NAV mode, or let us supply our own icons.

I’m pretty sure that my 820 can do this… via my phone and Garmin Connect. I seem to remember that I tried it, but it was flakey (because Garmin Connect / Bluetooth), and went back to running Ridewithgps on my phone for voice alerts through an earpiece.

I would find it really useful to be able to toggle through screens via buttons. I use navigation a lot, but don’t like staying on the map screen all the time, partly because it burns battery and partly because I want more data points (mainly power, HR, speed and time) than can practically be shown on the map screen. So I tend to ride along with a data screen and then swipe across to the map when approaching an area where I’m unsure of the route or there are multiple turns in short succession, or sometimes if I’m on a fast descent that I don’t know well and want an idea of whether there are sharp bends coming up. Easy to do when it’s dry and I’m not wearing gloves, but if it’s wet and I’ve got winter gloves on then toggling screens can be hard verging on impossible.

Of course this would be less of a problem if advanced turn notifications were more reliable but I find I can’t trust them enough. They too often miss a turn or give misleading guidance. Particularly roundabouts in the UK, where the initial notification is often just “turn left” to join the roundabout, and only once you’ve done that does it go to the next turn to tell you which exit to take. Which isn’t much help in terms of lane and road positioning and indicating as you approach the roundabout!

1 Like

There is the buttons that come with di2 that con control the Garmin or the ant+ remote

Didn’t make the UI not need the touch screen but does give the shortcuts you want

1 Like

Garmin made a big improvement readability-wise with the addition of directional arrows in a firmware update mid-last year - example in the video below:

Why? I already have so much that charges via microUSB and apple Lightning. MicroUSB works, and I don’t want to add a 3rd type of charging cable to lose.

It works, but it sucks…do I have it upside down? Which way is the port oriented on this device? Some ports are tough to engage than others.

I hate micro-USB. Give me an omnidirectional port, please.

4 Likes

I’m also firmly in the “why USB C?” camp. Sure it’s waterproof but it’s so prone to collecting dirt that it needs a dust cap anyway :person_shrugging:

Meh, I’d rather deal with port orientation than keeping track of 3 different cables. Although, Make it use Apple’s Magsafe Charger and I will buy on launch day! Thanks to that, I am ALMOST back down to just one cable, Hopefully Garmin doesn’t screw that up! Although since the just released Garmin inReach Mini 2 went to USB-C, I would expect the next generation of Edge computers to have it too.

Because I’ve had microUSB break on several devices. My Varia Radar doesn’t charge unless you hold your tongue just right. Sure, Garmin is pretty good in replacing broken devices, but it’s a major inconvenience.

1 Like

Can’t say I’ve ever had that happen. What about USB-C makes it immune to that issue?

I’m already managing 3 different cables, so reducing my reliance on micro-USB is a bonus for me.

At the end of the day, I don’t really care that much…I’m just not a fan of micro-USB and find USB-C to be a clearly superior solution.

2 Likes

I have loved my 530 but if I knew at the time the 830 was awesome touch screen wise I would have gone with that one. I usually don’t like touchscreens.

For the 840 or whatever it is called I hope they make a change to climbpro to it is based on certain parameters during a ride when I am not following a course. If they don’t it is not a big deal anyway as I use live track all of the time and follow a course as it shows my family where I am at in relation to that course which is really helpful for them. I think that is something people don’t remember.

Usb-c is nice but not a big deal to me personally as I still have a lot of devices that are micro (bose headphones, kindle oasis, varia, 530, varia headlight, etc to name a few)

Might have some good news for you. This isn’t necessarily a cycling device but it is a transport mounted Garmin navigation device using usb-c
https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/IPH-A4211/5811261

Same, I’m about 50/50 split between usb micro and usb-c. And to be fair I’ve only ever had robustness issues with my usb-c devices - they’re a fluf magnet.

1 Like

Advanced pothole warning would be good :wink:

I’m not sure what’s in the art of the possible.

More group riding settings. Such as:

We take 1 mile pulls on the front as we rotate around. If at the designated meet point the nominated ride leader could synchronise all rider’s lap alerts as we head out then everyone would know when the mile is coming. (time based alternative too)

Also if a route had been created for the day this was automatically shared at the ride sync.

The same thing for Varia radar sharing. When the ride leader syncs the lap alert if everyone automatically paired to the Varia that the ride leader has enabled that would be useful too.

Obviously both the above would need an opt in/out for each.

1 Like
  1. Strava Live Segments while Navigating (why is this not already a thing?)
  2. Better map readability
  3. 5s Power data field (why do we only have 3s or 10s??)
  4. more accurate climb pro (it’s always lagging behind for me)
  5. better route profile data field
  6. more varied beeps

I’d be willing to take a hit in battery life for a better display. As long as I can get 10hours out of it, without having to restrict sensors or display brightness, I’m good.

1 Like