Garmin Edge 840 predictions / wishlist

How do they work on Wahoo? I’m not sure why you bring up route planning but the segment feature on the 830 does not really have anything to do with Strava route planning. On my 830, I simply have to “star” a segment on Strava and then Garmin will show me the segment data screen when I’m approaching it.

I had a Wahoo a while back and I remember it working the same, with the 830 having much better on screen visuals.

Strava (life) segments do not show up on a Garmin if routing/navigation is active.
Exception: the route was created using Strava. In this case the segment informations are embedded into the track (and show up)
This is not a limitation on a Wahoo device.

Ah, I haven’t noticed this but that’s super annoying and surprising that garmin has that limitation. I wonder if there’s a technical reason or if it’s an actual design choice they are sticking to.

Hi guys, something tells me (steep discounts on the Edge 530 and 830) that Edge 540 and 840 are right behind the corner. We could see them before Christmas or in early Q1.

I’ve written up a summary of what I think we can expect. The biggest question mark for me is 840 Solar. I don’t think it will come because it would cannibalize the 1040 Solar too much.

I also don’t think we should expect too much, but 1040 and Explore 2 gave us some clues.

Don’t think so either… Garmin tends to wait 1 or 2 generations before big features like solar trickle down. But it will come eventually. If you see the number of watches with solar, I guess the 550 and 850 will sure have solar options

Can someone tell me about Strava live segments while navigating a course? I was eagerly awaiting the release of the new Wahoo Elemnt Roam to replace my tired original Elemnt unit. The lackluster changes to the new model have me open to waiting some more for an 840. But I have read mixed things about Strava Live segments which could be a deal breaker for me.

Some other forum posts seem to indicate this is possible if the route was created using Strava. However, Strava’s support page seems to indicate that it isn’t possible. If this isn’t possible, I am going to go ahead an grab a new Roam and call it good.

My current experience with an 830 is that whether in a route or a workout, I do not get served live segments. The workout thing I can understand, but the lockout when on a route, no matter if Strava-created or not, seems really odd to me.

1 Like

Sadness, I think I will stick with wahoo for that alone. Hopefully all the gloom and doom being expressed about Wahoo’s financials in another thread don’t amount to too much.

Sooner than I’d expected - guess we’ll see a release in a few days

Been contemplating going back to Garmin as my Bolt is suffering on longer rides

Lots of buttons which would be great to have in addition to the touchscreen. Using my 830 for the first time this winter was a PITA and seriously made me consider going back to a Wahoo

Bah! That’s one of the things I was hoping for (bit like the latest fenix interface where you can do everything with buttons if preferred). When the 1040 came out I had been tolerating the now-terrible battery life on my 820 for too long already so I bought a 1040. Now I think I’d prefer an 840. Oh well, the 1040 has been great so mustn’t grumble!

Having just got an 830 I would say the only major disappointment is responsivity of screen when wearing gloves. Before was using a K2 and that seemed better with regards to swiping between screens with gloves but also that (and the Wahoo Bolt I have got) you can obviously use buttons as well…

In terms of the screen, where I come from in terms of how good a screen is, how clear is it to use when riding a bike? From that perspective my Wahoo Bolt V1 with its monochrome screen is still the best device I have used. The 830 I find good in sunlight but it def needs the backlight in dull light, the K2 I have is opposite (with LED screen), good in dull light but poor in sunlight, needs the backlight set high. I hope Garmin and others concentrate on making their screens good to use on the bike and not focus on how pretty they look when indoors at the cafe stop…

Yep, the screen is definitely not amazing in the dark I imagine unless it keeps the light on which would really hurt battery. I haven’t done a lot of nighttime riding but I’d noticed it once or twice when I go out before sunrise.

My backlight is set to 20% on a 530, believe it has same display as 830. No trouble reading the screen with sixty plus year old eyes. I often add an extra 30 minutes after sunset, with my sunglasses still on. Any later I’ll come home and put on regular glasses. Still no issues reading the display. :man_shrugging:

You are agreeing with me then putting the hands up emoji? I wrote “The 830 I find good in sunlight but it def needs the backlight in dull light” - you are then saying you have the backlight on by default and add more as it gets dark…

did any one catch the price of the 840?

I think it was $450.

EDIT:

Cycling News put up a story about it and included pricing that was on the listing before it was taken down

840 Solar: $549
840: $449

540 Solar: $450
540: $350

1 Like

No mention of Bolt backlighting. Last I looked at one it was always on, always off or turn off after X seconds.

While riding my bike there is no difference in readability with Bolt and 530. I can glance down and quickly see what I want to see. The use of color on 530 isn’t a big deal, but it does help at least to my eyes.

My 530 backlighting is currently set to 20%, always on. Virtually never have a problem reading the display - I have far more issues with phone in sunlight.

Estimated battery capacity from DCRainmaker’s analyze, on a device purchased August 2019:

• ~13 hours with auto backlight
  • ~16 hours with 30% backlight always on
  • ~20 hours with 20% backlight always on

Seems about right from my sub 7 hour rides and capacity remaining. Sensors (all ANT+): Varia radar, heart rate monitor, and power meter.

Non-solar was $349.99

Edit: I was incorrect. This is the price for the 540 Non-Solar, not 840.

540 solar looks amazing!

I wonder if they’ll ever do a solar 140. Or a 240 solar would be ideal. Little 130 form, but with the Garmin Connect cleverness.

Assuming the 540 solar doesn’t get a big bump in size/weight then I’ll be super keen to get one at some stage when they’re out in circulation.

1 Like