Garmin 530 Incident Detection

Has anyone else had issues with this an incident detection giving false positives? Pretty much every ride I’ve done this year has had an incident detection been triggered when I’ve stopped at lights a T junction or just anytime I’ve slowed down quickly.

I don’t remember it being an issue last year so I assume an updated version of the firmware (in fact the only time it triggered was when I broke my ribs in a crash on a holiday trip and I was scrambling to stop it from texting my wife and causing her to worry).

1 Like

I’ve turned it off completely on my 1030 and 830. Mountain biking it would go off constantly and on my road bike it would go off when I stopped at an intersection.

Seems Garmin needs to go back rework the algorithm in terms of how crashes are detected.

1 Like

Never while riding and I travel on really beat up and bumpy roads. I’ve had the 530 since August and have been mostly training outside. Connected sensors:

• power meter (Stages gen3)
  • heart rate monitor (Garmin dual-band)
  • speed
  • Varia gen1 radar
  • Bontrager Flare RT rear light

The only false positive was last week when I flipped the bike upside down to fix a flat, and a 25mph wind gust knocked the bike over.

1 Like

To all of you getting false positives, what sensors do you have on your bike? Do you have cadence sensor? Speed sensor on the wheel hub?

I am interested because I don’t get false positives (830) but my friend gets a lot (820 without a speed sensor - uses GPS).

For MTB… I disable it…

On my Emonda road bike I have:

Garmin 1030
Quarq PM
Garmin Varia Rear Radar
Trek integrated speed sensor
Whoop HR strap

A quick, but not emegency, stop at an intersection definitely brings it on.

Only ever had one false positive on my 830, first ride on my Tarmac as I got home. Many rides since and no issues.

Sensors:
PowerTap P1 pedals
Garmin HRM
See.Sense Ace rear light
Ultegra Di2

Every week I’m hitting potholes, doing quick swerves, and hard braking. No problems on my 530.

Maybe its a hardware issue with your accelerometer? Some info about the hardware is at the end of the Crash Alert section of this DCRainmaker “Garmin releases …” post: Garmin releases new Edge Explore 1000 Edition: Tells your friends when you crash into a ditch | DC Rainmaker

Have you called Garmin or filed a ticket?

1 Like

If that happened to me I’d

• turn off incident detection
  • call Garmin and ask for a warranty exchange

:smiley:

1 Like

Not on a 30 series device but latest firmware update on my 520 has caused 3 false positives, slowing quickly for junctions, one of which could not be cancelled. Might try going back a firmware if it happens again.

Sensors - Garmin Hr Strap
- Stages left PM Gen 2

I have a 1030 and have not had any issues. It did go off appropriately when I bounced my bike down my steps :slight_smile:

I have a 520+ and have the same issue. At least once per ride when I pull to the side of a single track trail to let someone pass it goes off, especially if I hit the brakes hard. I’ve disabled it in some of my ride profiles but need to disable in the rest.

I ride lots of gravel with my 530 and have never had an incident detection incident. :wink:
Sensors:
4iiii pm
Garmin hrm
Garmin speed sensor on front hub

For mtb I have it disabled.

Never had a false detection on my 530, it’s got the latest firmware and is on my MTB.

I wonder if they turn down the senstivity on the MTB profile vs road?

When I first used the MTB profile on my 830 I had a notification saying incident detection is disabled for the profile.

I only get false positives when I stop quite abruptly - e.g. when ending my ride at home in my drive, it’s a slight downhill there.

Garmin 1030
Vector 3s
With and without Cadence and Speed sensors.

1 Like

My 830 has given two actual-positives and one-false positive. The first two were proper crashes, though there was no cell signal for the first but fortunately friends were near as I broke several ribs (that I was in another country meant my wife, the emergency contact, was in no real position to help). The second was on a trail and I crawled back to the bike to see it counting down and stopped it. I was only a couple miles from home and it was perhaps 6a and I didn’t want my Garmin to wake the wife. The false-positive was a hard stop for a red-light on the road bike. So far so good.

Funny story, I went on a ride with my brother a while ago, we both have a 530. His alarm went off when riding over a cobbled section. 10 minutes later, I crashed into a car (was close to a full stop at the point of impact, but still). My incident alarm didn’t go off. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

My 1030 went off 4 times yesterday. I must remember to turn it off again.
I wasnt even quickly stopping. A couple of times gently slowing triggered an incident.
I don’t have a speed sensor fitted, so I might try that.
I’ve only had 1 crash and it didn’t go off!!

Not incident detection but freezing.

Anyone else had this problem with the 530, randomly it’s frozen 3 times now all roughly about 1hr into the ride.

Never. I’d call Garmin and ask for a warranty replacement.

1 Like