Garage nutrition

I do my workouts as soon as I get home from work. Typically 5pm or so. I eat lunch at 1pm. I need some quick energy to get me through the workouts, Normally I take a gel before and maybe mid ride depending on the length, with a bottle of mix to drink through the ride if over an hour.

I ran out of gels and was at the store with box in hand waiting to checkout when I saw some honey for sale in the checkout line. It got me thinking, i read the nutrition on the honey and then on the gels. Pretty darn close on carbs and sugars. The honey isnt cheap but not as expensive as the gel. So I put the gels down and grab the honey to try. I then did some google ing and found that orange juice and apple juice are also pretty close, same as a lot of natural juices. So I grabbed a bottle of each of those thinking when I get home I can slam a glass of juice and some honey and net the same benefits. Seems reasonable? I mean gels are great on the road due to the convenience and packaging. But in the garage, sugar and carbs should work fine right? Am i missing something in the logic? Anyone else do anything similar?

Honey should work fine. If you’re looking for inexpensive DIY mix in a bottle, go here.

2 Likes

I read through that. Looks good for mix replacement on the road, but for me, I value the convenience of premixed powder. I get it pretty cheap through my club. But the diy stuff looks exactly the same if not close enough to where I would definitely give it a shot if paying retail for mix. Thanks!

1 Like

When I get in from work to late and I want to have a wind down period before bed, I’ll train straight away. When I do that its usually powered by some Soreen bread with cruchy peanut butter and a banana to follow. I only really touch gels at the start of a TT or carry one for an emergency on a long ride.

2 Likes

For me I need quick absorbing fuel or I’m dead on the bike. I tried solid food but it takes to long to get the energy. Im curious to see how the juice works. When I had to monitor my blood sugar as a type 2 juice spiked the blood within minutes. I should order some test strips and do some garage science with my garage eating lol.

1 Like

I fuel a lot of my lower intensity training with fresh fruit - did 2 hours this morning with bananas and grapes. Not effective from a space/weight aspect on outdoor rides, but a bit better option for me indoors (although man do I go through a lot of fruit)

3 Likes

I have about the same schedule as you. I eat lunch around noon, get home at 5 and am on the bike by 5:15.

What I do is take snacks to work, usually a couple of bananas, and eat those around 4. If you have the option of snacking at work, you can get in slower absorbing, cheaper foods with enough time to use them as fuel.

1 Like

Could you eat a banana or cereal bar on way home in car/bus/commute

1 Like

Straight fruit juice as pre-ride fuel messes with my stomach too much…not sure if it’s the acidity or what. On the rare occasion that I’ve used it I have to water it down.

Vermont Maple syrup ( not the ted king brand) and old fashioned clif bars work for me.

1 Like

I had images in my head of you squirting honey into your mouth straight from the bottle or jar.

3 Likes

Long life fruit juice contains alot of artificial sweetner namely high fructose corn syrup. Your experience of blood sugar spiking minutes after consumption is not unrealistic.

You should also look to try some of the DIY carbohydrate mixes. It is easy and cheap enough to get powdered glucose and fructose to make your own mix!

I got straight apple and orange juice not “drink” no additives. My blood sugar spikes with certain foods/drinks, not so much anymore as my diabetes is well under control, off the pills long ago. I figure natural sugar in juice form hits the blood pretty quick and the body just uses it quick if you are training within 30 minutes of consuming it. The syrup idea sounds good. I am not about mixing powders. To be honest thats more about convenience. I just couldnt see spending 30 dollars on something for an hour or two in the garage where you dont need packaged foods to stuff in the pockets like you do when you are out on the road. And honestly I have been packing figs, dates, nuts, and making rice cakes instead of the pre packaged bars when I ride outdoors. That seems to be working well for me. Especially the rice cakes.

1 Like

I checked the maple syrup, its got a TON more sugar. I also looked at molasses, thats natural and about the same carb/sugars as the gels and honey. Most wont like that but I grew up on that stuff and love it :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s actually really good timing. 3ish hours between a high carb meal and a hard effort is ideal. 4 is still pretty good.

What are you currently eating for lunch?

2 Likes

I buy honey by the halfgallon and fruit snacks by the like 50 pack. (seriously). Works great for day to day.

1 Like

Oh, that’s a clever idea. I might steal that.

1 Like

Trying to lose weight so 400 calories of mixed vegetables and 300 calories of protein

Or here!
(it’s even cheaper and probably more optimal)

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I read through a few of your threads, and your post in RP which I have paid for in the past. I know Mikes work and have listened to a lot of his youtube videos. He is outstanding, helped me a lot in weight training. Just order a bunch of Gatorade, caffeine and some Citrate see how my gut likes it. I thought my honey idea was groundbreaking stuff :slight_smile: lol anyway thanks!

1 Like