Fueling for Galena (3 x 20m)

It totally depends on what the next workout/activity is. I thought this was a timely article just published byPEZ Cycling in which it talks about modulating carb intake based on the type of ride.

It is important to clarify this issue. Let’s not engage into chronically restricting carbohydrate intake. The point is to do a “smart carb” approach where low intensity training sessions are undertaken with low carbohydrate availability.

Although carbohydrate-rich foods are unquestionably essential for cyclists looking to perform high training bouts and competing, manipulating carbohydrate availability throughout the training season according to the demands of the training sessions seems to be the best approach if you seek to further maximize training adaptations that ultimately will translate in an improved performance whilst competing.

In your case Nate you might benefit by actually limiting your carb intake knowing that you typically follow a high-intensity/low-intensity schedule. I just cannot see why you would need to “fuel” for Baxter the following day.

I’m sincerely curious as to why you’re doing this and what you’re training your body to do? Become carb-dependent for any type of workout?

Totally agree with this. If I was doing a 3-day mini block in which I went VO2, Threshold, Aerobic I would definitely be prepping for the next day’s hard ride by pre-fueling. However, if my VO2 day was followed by an easy-ish day I wouldn’t be fueling during the high-intensity ride assuming it was a typical TR 1-hr workout. I would eat normally following the workout and would do the next workout (aerobic/endurance) in a semi-fasted state. N=1 here. I’ve had very good results doing TR workouts early in the morning pre-breakfast in a semi-fasted state. It has allowed me to do hard rides up to 2 hours in length with no on-the-bike fueling.

I take a very similar approach. No reason not to fuel during the ride; you’re after the most training response - running low on reserves during the ride isn’t going to achieve that. Certainly for over an hour, it’s probably prudent to top-up, a drink is probably easiest. Don’t forget to factor that in post-ride though to save over eating.

Goal is to win races. To win races I need a big FTP. To get a big FTP you need to train a lot of intensity. In order to train a lot you need to eat a lot of carbs.

Think of a Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday block where Friday is off. Do your legs still hurt coming into sat? What if they could hurt less.

Also, as someone else mentioned, think of training blocks over three weeks rather than 24-48 hours.

P.s. I know I could go a traditional approach and raise my FTP but I don’t have that much time.

2 Likes

Agree that keeping the big picture in perspective is really important. I can definitely fast my way through the workouts, but what is the downstream impact 3 - 4 weeks later. I probably don’t eat as much as @Nate_Pearson, but I’m also smaller, but at least in my own n=1 I’m finding that by fueling more during rides I’m coming back strong as I progress through my plan. I’m still at a caloric deficit after workouts but less so than if I didn’t fuel. The on the bike fueling also lets me to continue to work on testing different food, gels, etc as I gear up for some longer endurance mountain bike events this year (Whiteface, Leadville).

I did do Baxter +1 a week ago completely fasted (thanks coach @chad for Baxter +1 and +2), and although I was able to do the ride easily fasted, I definitely felt more depleted after and throughout the day, despite eating right after.

Everything is individual and depends on goals, time, etc. and there are likley multiple approaches that will get you there. If weightloss is the primary goal, not building FTP, I can see doing a lot of fasted work makes a ton of sense.

2 Likes

I may be a bit of a hard head but I have done this one quite a few times fasted, not fun but I often have to train early in the morning before work so it happens and while not pleasant I get it done. When I can I will have a few medjool dates before but if not I just jump on the bike

I definitely don’t agree that you need to eat lots of carbs on or off the bike to perform well. For sessions less than 2 hours I don’t eat anything and will usually only drink one or two bottles of water (maybe an electrolyte in one). If your body is reliant upon glycogen (stored carbs), and not fat adapted, it will take lots of time to adjust to a lower carb diet. The main benefit of being more fat adapted is that you don’t depend on glycogen (stored carbs) later in a race and can avoid that bonking feeling that lots of carb dependent riders will experience.

Stew681

My experience is totally different. Intermittent fasted with Low Carb for 10 years. High Intensity CrossFit workouts no problem at all.

Just about survived though SS1 and 2 with that regimen. Came to Sustained Build and that was a totally different ball game. Within a week I was in bits and not recovering. Changed regimen to podcast recommendations.

I train on a night so had my normal Salmon and Salad lunch. Overnight oats or Banana and Greek yoghurt 2 and a half hours before. Cup of Coffee when warming up with handful of raisins.

On a Threshold workout such as Stromlo +3 20 Grams of raisins between each valley. The difference with eating carbs for me was massive. All intervals finished strongly and the next day no residual fatigue or aching legs. Far more pleasant experience. Nothing else changed.

Anyone out there who is struggling with workouts and recovery listen to the guys on the podcast and experiment with what they say you may be surprised.

Chrua

3 Likes

Don’t believe all you read, your body may be different to whoever pez are talking about. Listen to what your body tells you. :biking_man::+1: