Feature request: Percent of FTP instead of Watts (% of FTP)

I am a bit confused, so there is no push to garmin for outdoor workouts atm ?

Correct. Itā€™s coming and until then you can take the instructions and recreate the workout in the Garmin Connect app.

3 Likes

Then pls remove the hint in training plans the workout will be pushed two days before it starts. I spent quite some time searching for an error between garmin and trainerroad that will prevent the push.

1 Like

Another in support of seeing percentage

5 Likes

Could we have a customizible display of the fields ?

like in the setting you just chose the data to display ? FTP percentage instead of Wattage orā€¦ W/Kg and NP etc etcā€¦

all these fields should be available

5 Likes

agreed !

1 Like

I want to know what zone I am in, or what percentage of FTP I am at on the home screen. If it was up to me, I would replace heart rate with either a percentage of FTP or Current zone (tempo, sweet spot, etc.). If you wanted to keep the heart rate people happy, you could make it a setting choice, similar to choosing if you want to show instructional text.

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one in this boat, but I would LOVE to be able to toggle between what my current watts are and % of FTP. I would love the same for targets.

It could be as simple as clicking or tapping ā€œPowerā€ or ā€œTargetā€ to toggle the option.

Personally seeing certain numbers gets inside my head and I can struggle to meet the target requirements. Last summer I was writing the workouts on masking tape and sticking them to my stem. I kept it to %of ftp as that was easier to read. As a result I found my workouts were far more successful as I wasnā€™t psyching myself out over certain power numbers.

4 Likes

Youā€™re not the only one. A quick search will confirm that.

Watts and percentages are both numbers. Why does only one psych you out?

I think it has to do with seeing new numbers, for example:

Tell me to do a 3min VO2 interval at a power Iā€™ve always failed at but should be able to accomplish psychs me out. Tell me to do a 3min VO2 at 120% then itā€™s something Iā€™ve done before so Iā€™ll feel more optimistic.

Does that make sense?

Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s whatā€™s going on in my head but it certainly seems that way.

4 Likes

Yeah that does make sense actually!

Having said that, Iā€™m the opposite because I find myself motivated by hitting new numbers

2 Likes

+1 for the option of %FTP display in live workouts.

1 Like

i am not sure if it helps (could be a workaround), but when you start your TR Workout on your Windows App and start the same TR (Outdoor) workout on your Garmin Edge at the same time, then you can see the low and high range of the actual intervall on your Garmin Screen, think, there is also a datafield availabe where you can see the %FTP

I think having the option to see watts or %ftp would be good. On my head unit I use %ftp just make sense when training in zones. Normally when coaches talk to their clients what zones to train in it zone always explain in %ftp.

+1 for %ftp

I think I find %w etc a psychological limiter some times :thinking:

I have solved thisā€¦ I simply have a PAPER spreadsheet showing FTP and % attached to the cupboard aheard of my turbo. Amazingly it works for various FTP settings (columns) and % of FTP (Rows).

Frankly I prefer to simply read the instructions for a session, see it says 150% or 92-95% and then concentrate on the power I need to hold.

inside I donā€™t really care, but it would be beneficial if it was also available for outside workouts without powerā€¦

Indoor I build up a decent feel for different zones/durations, (I know how 10 minutes 90% feel and how 120 seconds 120%) That information, for me that would be way more accurate then some arbitrary new rpe scale. For new users it would probably be the same, but for myself, I would rather see 10 minutes 90% on my garminā€¦

Bumping to the team. Thanks, all!

4 Likes

Hi,
It would be great to see the power target not only in watts but also as percentage of FTP. It could be a small number next to the power target (similar to the size of the font of the workout name).
It is a very informative piece of information, which is currently shown only in the description, but not during the actual workout.
Thanks!

2 Likes