Feature Request - Continuous FTP Update during Testing

Attack the idea, not the person. Please don’t go against the ethos of this forum.

2 Likes

Love the idea. Seeing a new ftp number pop up would motivate me a lot!

I suppose everyone is different. Having a number on the screen distracts me from the pain and helps me push harder. Without it I think I would probably quit earlier.

Now if Nate could figure out how to put an image image of my buddies pulling away from me on the trail… that would motivate me!

I actually don’t like anything on screen when testing, I think next time I will actually turn my laptop round so I can’t see it, I know when I can’t turn the pedals anymore! It’s so harder staying seated, knowing you could just jump out the saddle and kick on a bit longer is the hardest thing to resist.

1 Like

yes, this is an individual preference and if added should be made an option. Personally I don’t want to see it, but understand some find it motivational and want it displayed.

1 Like

I take it then you are not on a dumb trainer!:smiley:

I am a dumb trainer but not on one :joy:

3 Likes

I think I would find this highly motivating to try to push that score up just a little bit higher.

It’s based on your highest one-minute power. Due to the structure of the test, this will basically be the most recent one minute until you start failing. If you apply a little power smoothing, it should be very reasonable to calculate that on the fly. (Even easier, and differently useful, is displaying “this is what your FTP would be if you’ve matched the power targets so far”.)

I think driving yourself into the ground then enduring that pause before you see the result while you experience that deep dread that you might have wimped out and quit too soon is the best part of the test. This is a mental test as well as a physical test. All that goes on in your head during the last 15 seconds of the effort and then that brief time before you see your result is the very essence of what all this is about.

I’d use the “real time FTP result” tool if it were available but I’d be worse off for doing so.