Feature request - 3s power on Garmin default workout page

It’d be a nice extra to have a good IQ app. I think the problem there is that IQ apps cover too large a range of devices which would make it difficult.
Better for TR to spend the time on other features IMO.

Live power vs average seems like an easy solution. (Not that I have any experience in that realm).

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more with this request :slight_smile:

1 Like

@bbarrera I’m not quite as tech savvy as you/don’t have a training peaks account. Is there a reasonably quick way of getting workouts that are programmed as a %FTP (rather than Garmin’s specific wattage or power zone), AND displaying 3 second average power?

I agree with you that workouts pushed to Garmin using either their workout creator or TP result in a much cleaner workout page and would love to utilise it.

I’ve also contacted support, but I’m having a tricky time explaining to them what the issue/desire is.

Thanks!

TrainingPeaks is the easiest, as far as I know.

Bummer - Probably not worth the subscription fee! Maybe support can come through with a mod :confused:

You can do it with free TrainingPeaks.

But you can only store a maximum of 5 workouts right? Which sadly means doing it every time pretty much

Sure on TrainingPeaks. But they all show up on my Garmin.

Ahhhh I get it! So you can create it, schedule it to push to Garmin, then Garmin holds onto it in its workout library. That’s hot news.

Rebumping. I actually typed up a post before realizing I already posted in this thread:

"While annoying, I have a separate screen that shows my 3 second, lap time, and lap average. Notifications cover up the lap average but I can always see the lap time and 3 second.

So yeah, I bump this recommendation."

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. I just got back from another Saturday morning ride where I didn’t bother loading a TR WO.
I’ll give you one guess why.

1 Like

Just followed the link posted about setting up your Garmin and for each of the custom screens it recommends using 3sec power so it’s odd that TR stick with Lap Power for the default screen.

I’m on a 520 so quite a few of the data fields aren’t available to me.

1 Like

What are the steps for your TR workout to go onto TP with the 3s power on the default garmin page? Is this possible or only with the steps from your first post? Do i just link TP to TR? And stop my TR to Garmin Sync for pushing workouts?

In the past I duplicated just the intervals in TP / Garmin (I’ve used both). Didn’t bother trying to copy TRs warmup and cooldown.

For example Lion Rock in Garmin on my iPhone:

2 Likes

Thanks for reminding me how easy it is to create a WO on GC. :+1: I’m totally over trying to make those pushed from TR work the way I’d like them to.

Rampant plagiarism aside, how do you deal with the GC FTP levels if they don’t match your TR FTP?

On GC I use Power Zones, and override the Garmin zones to match TR/TP/etc (posted that somewhere). However I really prefer the TrainingPeaks editor for overall ease, control, and convenience. Even more so now that I have a coach that assigns workouts on TP and I do quick edits pre and post ride.

1 Like

Is this something you can do easily on GC, or a back-door fix?

one-time change to the % column in GC’s Power Zones

1 Like

Glad I found this request and am bumping it hoping for an update from the TR team.

Having used other platforms to push custom workouts to a Garmin 520 and 530, this is what I’m missing in TR. The step avg power target is annoying to me.

I personally like a 10s avg power target to aim for. I find it helpful when trying to maximize time in zone rather than chasing an average for the interval. It would be great if this was an option when selecting an outside ride to select whether to push targets for instantaneous power, 3s power, 10s power, 30s power, or lap power as the user might want. This allows more flexibility from users to see what they want on the various screens they may want.

2 Likes

Checking in with the team about this. Thanks!

5 Likes