Feature request - 3s power on Garmin default workout page

I also wanted to voice my support for defaulting this to 3s or 10s power (or even more ideally, configurable through the app). I just got a power meter and started doing outdoor workouts and was really frustrated by the default setting of step avg power. Went to Google and was surprised to see it’s such a simple change and other platforms are already doing it. Custom data fields are a workaround, but this would be better and improve the experience for more users.

2 Likes

Hi all, wanted to lend a hand here by setting up a Garmin connectIQ datafield for this.
Already made the fields ‘TarPow’ and ‘NextTarPow’ to show the workout targets.
But I need your help as to what to make.

My programming skill has some limitations.
I am too unexperienced to make a nice gauge like the Garmin field.
I can probably manage to make a field that changes color, but then the total field will change color, not just a part.

My suggestion. I can make 2 fields:
Field-1 with ‘UpperLimit’ and ‘LowerLimit’ (like “200-250”)
Field-2 with 3s Average (and/or 10s Average) that is green when within this limit, yellow when it is 10% out (or any other percentage) and red when it is further off.

However, to me this adds only ‘nice to haves’ like the color.
Personnally I use my own ‘TarPow’ to keep track of the target and see that I remain as close as possible, no need for a color. And with the color, you will not see where in the zone you are.

Alternative:
1 Field with 3 numbers: lowerlimit, current-power (3s and/or 10s), upperlimit.
Something like: “200 - 234 - 250”

If you specify a bit more what to do, I will do my best to serve.

Alternative 3:
Only 1 field that shows percentage off-target and changes color when you go further off than a certain percentage:

0% (on target)
-2% or +2% (slightly off target, but still OK)
etc

This can be in absolute instead of percentage if you like that better

1 Like

Providing some more context of why we have default screens set up this way:
When we were testing this feature out, we decided when default display did read ‘3s power’, it resulting in frequent notifications from the head unit that you’re outside of the power target, which can cause athletes to constantly ‘chase’ the power target in either direction and make it difficult to focus on the full scope of the effort.
This is why always show the power target and lap power, then athletes have the freedom beyond that to show 3s, 5s, 10s, or whichever they prefer in a separate field as well.

4 Likes

The flip side is that those of us with a 520 or 530, a unit controlled by buttons, we can only access pause and rewind from the default workout page.

And more importantly, you can easily turn off notifications and its already suggested in the support article (and a blog post):

So my proposal for 3s on default Garmin workout page would result in:

• Edge 5x0 users have a usable default workout page from which they can easily pause/rewind intervals
  • one time setup to disable out-of-target alerts (already suggested and documented by TR)
  • custom pages are optional

Hey Brian, I hear you on this.

Based on athlete feedback, the biggest user experience issue with outside workouts is athletes finding it very difficult to do the workout when they are looking at live power instead of an average. Said another way, although one athlete finds it easy to maintain power targets outside with live power, there are many more that find live power being a barrier to them completing the workout. Making this change would adversely affect the majority of our athletes.

Further, assuming that lap power not being communicated numerically in our in-app workout view as justification for it not being included in an outside workout view ignores the very different context in both situations, and the much more complex circumstances most athletes face when training outside.

Besides that, one of the most common requests is to have a view that replicates the TR in-app workout view.

Pause and rewind are rarely mentioned as being utilized in customer feedback due to having the “press lap to start interval” functionality.

For those reasons, we’ve built for the needs of the majority of our athletes and provided additional instruction for them to take advantage of the flexibility that exists within custom screens.

All of that said, I’ve taken note of your feedback and all of the feedback in this thread, and our team is aware of it as well. More and more athletes in general (not just TR athletes) seem to be familiarizing themselves with outside workouts on their head units, so as athletes’ needs evolve, we’ll do so as well.

For now, we simply have to prioritize the needs the majority of our athletes are communicating to us.

5 Likes

Thanks for the detailed reply. I’ll just mention this in case it wasn’t posted above, after outdoor workouts launched you had Alex or Keegan on the podcast. And Alex-or-Keegan said chasing average power was a problem, and they took it off their computer while doing intervals. I’m not aware of any voting on user experience, so I’ll just stop commenting and leave it at a design decision was made, and you are sticking with it :+1:

Just chiming in here again to say the intervals.icu has an excellent text-based workout builder that syncs to garmin and can show 3s power. I’ve been using it a lot!

Not to belabor the point, but giving users the option of the target power being anything from instantaneous power to lap power (set lap power as the default unless the user changes it) would allow the flexibility we are asking for with this request. Seems like a win-win as you can keep the default the same for the majority while still allowing the flexibility we want. No need to prioritize one group of users over another.

I’ve been using outside workouts more as the weather is getting nicer and the evenings longer. I really like being able to switch the workout to outside on TR, and then grabbing my head unit and go for a ride with the workout being ready for me on the unit. However, I don’t like chasing lap average power and would prefer to target something else. I also happen to like the Garmin workout screen in some situations. I can change my power display as needed to see my current power as I’d like to. I can use the Garmin screen or a custom screen I create to see data fields as I’d like to. I cannot change the target power to something other than lap power (TR would need to code this option in) unless I duplicate/build the workout elsewhere.

I’ve used the workout builder in intervals.icu and find it really easy once you understand how it works. I may start duplicating/building TR outside workouts over there so I can drop them in the intervals.icu calendar as needed to give me the option of chasing whatever target power I’d like rather than lap power. This isn’t ideal though, and it seems like this would be a simple enough option for the TR team to add for users like me and others here who want to change the target power from the default target of lap power.

Regardless, I appreciate the response Jonathan and I look forward to getting this added at some point. I was hoping this would be taken up as more people are looking at outside rides this summer, but it seems I’m stuck dealing with it or working around it for now. I’m really happy with adaptive training, plan builder, outside workouts, AI FTP detection, YouTube videos, podcasts, etc. Keep up the improvements.

not sure what the consternation is, I’ve got a workout screen I use with 4 fields, elapsed time, 3sec power, lap power, and interval time countdown. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m acutely aware of what the target power I should be doing on any given interval, and I don’t necessarily need it in front of me the whole time

I do, its called auld age blindness (long sightedness) :rofl:. Fine with spectacles but with contacts in for racing/ TT position training outdoors its impossible to see things up close, especially the target power. A target bar is easier to follow and I prefer it; like @vandalarchitect I’ve recreated TR workouts on another platform (IMC Training Peaks) so I can have this.

I can’t speak for others, but I find the target bar really intuitive without having to think much (reducing mental load as they might say on the podcast). It can basically condense the 3s power and lap power data fields you have on your custom screen into one visual indicator. It’s not better or worse necessarily, just a different way to visualize the effort and I happen to prefer it at times.

I’ve also found with the right target power duration I can keep the power target alerts turned on and that can be nice at times too. That’s less the case for lap power as the target. In that case you basically have to have the alerts turned off just to keep from throwing your head unit into a ditch, and even then the alerts hardly help to keep you in the zone because it becomes more about chasing a lap average than staying in the target power range.

1 Like

Hi all,
I would like to be of help in the (outside) workout page.
Some time ago I made the Garmin IQ app (datafield) TargetPower which gives the middle number of the workout target power range. Another IQ app (datafield) NextTarPow shows the same for the next step of the workout.
But I know many of you like to have the range rather than the target number.
For that reason I have created an IQ app (datafield) TarPowRange, that shows the range and how you perform in that range.

To accommodate your wishes, I have added the option to select if you want 1s, 3s or 10s average power in the range, regardless of the target used by TR or any other app that created the workout.
Besides that there is the option to show or not show the middle target.

The app is in full working order on my Garmin 1040 and is easy to publish for all Garmin 1030, 1030 Plus and 1040 series devices.

My question to you is if you have any whishes regarding the datafield:

1. Is the green range too narrow?
  2. Is there more information to be shown (or less) ?
  3. Do you want the information bigger (using 4 datafield places instead of 2)?
  4. etc

Hope this app/datafield will help.
Kind regards,
Sir5

TarPowRange

4 Likes

Sir5, this is awesome, and thanks for coming here to ask. I use your TargetPower datafield today and appreciate it.

I’m a 1030 guy, so publish away:)

The size of the green is ok, if you were to tune it could be slightly larger. I see you’ve already made the red narrower, so I’d probably think about taking the same sliverout of the yellow and orange bands to give it to the green.

I like the reps to go as well; I’m assuming that’s working reps. Not sure how that would handle over/unders though.

If I was to change anything I’d add cadence and give up last lap power; right now I have that on a screen with a quick scroll right to see it since it’s not pertinent to the current or upcoming interval, then I’m back to my workout screen. Or perhaps replace TarPow since that number is showing on your graphic.

Thanks again for asking, and for the work itself.

Thank you.
The datafield is only the top one (using double width).
That way we can all choose the other fields we like on the page.

i will broaden the green a bit, then publish the field, will let you know.

1 Like

That looks fantastic just what I wanted. I will test it in 6 months time when I am outside again :grinning:.

This isn’t your issue, but I find I have trouble hitting my indoor power outside. I normally just about hit the lower end of the green bar. Is the 144 the lower end red and the 177 the higher end red, or the two ends of the green?

Could you have an arrow to show where you are in the green or yellow or red? It might be handy to know you are in the higher end yellow and could reach green or in the red, no chance :grinning:

I would assume the black bar on the far left is the current power indicator - it’s just that in that image it’s showing 0W, and if it was giving an actual power reading it would move to the relevant place on the gauge.

1 Like

Hi all,

After some headaches the datafield: “Target Power Range” is ready (at the moment ‘pending’ in connectIQ store).
Look and feel improved since the former image. In the image below the field i made is in the top row, the other fields are manually chosen.
I would really like your comments and suggestions.
Most important features to me:

1. selectable to show 1s, 3s or 10s average, INdependent of the target type set.
    (most of us use a workout provided by someone else and target types vary from 1s to 10s power, but we all have our own preferences).

2. selectable to show the average target power (middle of the target range) or not to show it.
    (most of us use the range, but some like to have the ‘actual’ target; also available in another app of mine ‘Target Power’)

3. selectable to show the current power in color, not in color (in black or white depending on background), or only in color when background is white (during daytime).

The app i s available for 1030 and 1040 devices. It took some time for me to find out the font differences. Now per devices a font that fits is chosen.

I am happy using this app, hope more can enjoy it.
Happy cycling,
Sir5

2022-10-28-11-38-42

10 Likes

Looks impressive! Eager to add it when it comes on line.

Curious what the 146 and 190 at the top left and right respectively are indicating?

Thanks for the great work and especially coming here to share.

The 2 numbers left and right are the lower and upper limits of the target power range.
These values are therefore the lower and upper limit of the green part of the gauge.

I only have my own examples to work with.
I make my structured workouts in TrainingPeaks. I use one specific target for an interval as a % of my FTP. The workouts are automatically transferred to Garmin Connect and to my Edge device. I can see that in the conversion from TP to Garmin, the target value is gone and lower and upper ranges have appeared. I do not know who is responsible for the conversion, TrainingPeaks or Garmin. I can see that the target range (the difference between the upper and lower values) is always 20% of the target value.

In the above picture the used FTP is 230 watts. The interval target is 75% of the FTP, being 172.5 watts .
The range of the target is 20% of 172.5 watts is 34.5 watts. Half of the range is 17.25 watts.
Lower limit is 172.5 minus 17.25 watts is 155.25 watts. With some rounding here and there they made 156 watts of it. Same calculation for the upper limit.