Favorite Cold Weather Kit, Clothing

I’m boots on both bikes this time of year - have spd pedals on the winter road bike, as new pedals was cheaper than two pairs of boots!

1 Like

MTB pants -
Looking for a wind proof front, breathable rear pant. For fat bike/ flat non-tech trails snow, but not wet. Also dog walking
Not-bike specific preferred (so hiking/running/climbing/xc skiing). Prefer trousers I could wear to the store, not sweat pants style. Should have some insulation factor by themselves (no unlined shells)
Needs to have enough room in the thigh to accept long underwear with some room, but not too excess at the ankle. I’ve got big thighs and calves, so most ‘straight fit’ pants turn into skinny fit
I’ve got winter softshell bibs, but need to be able to put a insulation layer on my thigh.

I see these options:

1 Like

I use these pants for Fatbiking, i think they meet all of your requirements.

I use them with just short liners on normally and i live in Alberta where it can get really cold.

Is there any reason to get fleeced lined jerseys and tights (versus using additional layers)? I’m trying to start riding outside more in the cold but plan to not go if it is below freezing.

There are a lot of good kit suggestions above, but most are a bit outside of my price range. OCG has a fall kit (long sleeve jersey, bib tights, gloves, and wind jacket) for $152USD (scroll down for “Pack 1”). It’s not Castelli, Gore, Assos, or any of the other higher end brands listed above, but is probably good enough for what I’m looking for. Wondering if the fleece lining is worth getting, as the kit does not include those options.

Not really IMO but I only grew up in Central Belt Scotland which is pretty mild (-3deg c on ave at the worst) relative to some places. Fleeced lined stuff especially the cheaper stuff get extra sweaty (it acts like a sponge/mop) and after a coffee stop its :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I’m in the Central Belt like @HLaB and concur re: fleece. A really light fleecy lining (usually called a Roubaix fabric) can be nice, but anything more than that and it gets awful quickly.

However, Polartec Alpha insulation is a wonder material for packable layers. There are a few brands that use it (I think the incredibly popular Castelli Alpha ROS Jacket for one), but my all-time favourite insulation layer is the Rapha Brevet Insulated Gilet - it’s just amazing for rides with significant temperature swings, cafe stops, starting cold, etc. and it fits easily in a jersey pocket. Viz stripes are a bonus, and it functions just as well when wet. Should be part of the 25% discount on the Rapha site just now too.

I think Endura do something similar and I’m sure other brands as well. I keep looking at also getting the Pro Team insulated gilet which has the insulation on the front panel but not the back, but they haven’t done it in a bright colourway in a few years so I’m holding out on it.

1 Like

I just started using some windstopper fleece bib tights (Men's Thermal Wind Stop Bib Tight | Eliel – Eliel Cycling on sale right now!) and they have been great. Two rides in them, both at about 40F. These are the first rides where I have been mostly comfortable at those temperatures. My toes still get cold, and my glove situation needs some work, but my legs and lower torso have been great. I would say in the 30s and 40s F fleece lined tights and to a lesser degree jerseys would be nice. It is much easier to layer tops, so having the right warmth in a single layer isn’t as important.

1 Like

Yeah, if you’re doing cardio, you’re going to sweat even if you’re cold. Cotton is the worst fabric to wear if you’re introducing moisture. If it’s just a 45min romp, you can make do; if it’s an hour plus you need proper gear.

Wool insulation under jeans can work, especially if you wax the bits that might get wet or need to block the wind.

1 Like

Where do you all stand on winter boots? Worth it, or just as well to keep rocking the merino wool sock, hot hands toe patch, and neoprene shoe cover? Thanks.

I am 100% a winter shoe guy vs. shoe covers. One less thing to faff around with when you are trying to get out the door…and honestly, they seem warmer.

1 Like

I usually have three or four pair of cycling shoes which are used depending on just how cold it is. I get cold, uncomfortable feet easily and dislike shoe covers so this is likely overkill for most people.

One is just a normal summer shoe (Lake 238).

Another is a wider or larger version of a summer shoe that allows for thick socks and I tape the vents with duck tape to block the wind. I have an old pair of cheap bontragers for this role.

I have a pair of Lake MXZ176 (I think) that are a low top winter shoe. They don’t have vents and are a little thicker material.

Then I have a winter boot for the really cold rides. These are specialized defrosters.

1 Like

I’ve never had boots myself but from all accounts they are better than overshoes. If I had the spare money and we had a longer winter, I’d probably try them. Although I do like that Overshoes protect the shoes from road grit etc and leaving the shoes looking good in summer. I don’t know if I want expensive boots getting destroyed by the conditions. Wiping them down after a long ride would probably help but after a long cold/wet ride I often want to discard things quickly and jump in a warm shower, so would probably forget.

1 Like

Only problem I’ve had with winter boots is water getting in the top on really wet days or if you have to ride through some deep standing water on the road. As there’s nowhere for it to get out at the bottom so your feet are just sloshing around which is horrible! Awesome for everything up until that point though.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of layering for cycling. It works great when mountaineering where you have the opportunity to stop and add and remove layers to regulate your temperature. But who does that during a bike ride, most just end up wearing a number of layers for the entire ride, not changing them, find it difficult if not impossible to vent / lose heat when necessary, end up sweating uphill, that condenses on the down hills, they get cold despite the layers due to the trapped moisture and wet skin.

I’m a big fan of the mesh vest with a wind resistant shelled micropile top over it. Easy to vent any excess heat or sweat vapour when necessary via single zip, you don’t get sweat building up and condensing back into the layers and on your skin. Any winter weather doesn’t get past the shelled micropile, your skin stays dry with a microclimate of warm still air trapped against the skin.

In addition to above I carry a primaloft gilet which I’ll throw over the top if stopped for more than a few minutes, such as if I’ve got a mechanical.

Examples of the shelled type micropile are Rab Vapour Rise, Marmot driclime , Buffalo tecmax lite , Mountain equipment Kinesis jacket. These are mountaineering jackets, and thus not the most aero, but riding in winter I not so bothered about that as staying comfortable for long periods outdoors.

Part of the advantage of layering though is the ability to fine tune your clothing for different conditions on different days, not just within the same ride. E.g. A good quality heavy duty winter jacket costs a lot of money and might only get used on days when it’s really cold as otherwise you’ll overheat. Whereas using a base, mid and outer layer might work just as well on these really cold days but you can also get good use out of those layers by using them in different combinations on milder days.

1 Like

But that not layering as such that’s just using different items on different days. Bit like using shorts rather than longs.

I like to layer and make sure the last 2 layers have zippers. This way I can unzip to vent when I get to hot and/or sweat. I agree, I don’t imagine ever stopping to actually take the layer off. Also, my outer most layer has vents that unzip.

I’ve GripGrab gators which do help delay that. I’ve found them great in dry, but wet roads/ trails, puddles even fords! Only issue is in heavy rain, that even with water resistant bibs, water eventually gets in on the skin side of the leg!

My boots are waterproof - I hose them down on me when I’m doing the bike!

2 Likes

The only time I stop is to take off/ put on a top layer (Hardshell/Gilet); at a cafe if I’m wearing undergloves (and only very occasionally at the side of the road) I might take of those too and stuff them in my pocket. My layers are pretty simple though, typically: base layer, softshell, Hardshell/Gilet (occasionally both if its cold enough or I’d forego the hardshell all together and just have a gilet). I might also add a winter jersey when its really cold. I’m more likely to take things off at the transitional seasons when its freezing first thing but warm and sunny in the afternoon and then its arm/knee/toe warmers I can take off fast.