Favero BePro power accuracy

Hi,

I have a Favero Bepro single side power meter I every time I was going out, I could see that i was managing to get higher number then indoor with Tacx Neo. Another thing is that I was getting a new estimated FTP on my Garmin.
To test it I did a couple of indoor rides in my Neo and recording also Bepro data with garmin. I have came to a conclusion that on the Bepro the power readings was higher aound 20w that on Neo.
Anyone with similar issues? I am assuming the issue is the PM but how can I really test it?

I bought them in 2016 and never managed to calibrate them correctly. I constantly had crazy numbers in comparison to my Kickr. In 2017 I also bought a Quarq and a Stages and those numbers were relatively consistent with the Kickr. In the meantime I bought second Quarq and all I can say is… The Bepro’s are super bad. Something broke in the right pedal due to bad design but customer support wasn’t cooperative. The power numbers are unreliable, the set-up process is a hassle and the build quality is questionable.

I’m sure that this is the reason why they changed the name of this product for the second iteration. I never managed to use them for proper power-based workouts and they messed up my data. They are the most expensive and heavy cadence sensors on the market. :wink:

Firstly, the Neo is measuring downstream in the drivetrain from the Favero’s. Drivetrain losses are typically 1-2%, so you would expect the Neo to be reading lower, even if both PM’s were 100% accurate.

Secondly, single sided power measures left only, and doubles it, while the Neo measures total power. If you have a L/R power imbalance (as most people do to some extent), then you can expect different power readings between left only power, and total power, even if both PM’s are functioning correctly.

3 Likes

I had BePro and now Assioma and I’m super happy with them. They read abut the same as my Rotor crankbased powermeter on my MTB. My Neo reads a bit lower than all of them, I think because of the loss in the drivetrain. AND as Long as the reading is consistant, the training is not impaired.

1 Like

What @mcalista said. If your left / right balance is 55/45, then bePRO S will read 110, and the Neo will read 100. That’s a 10% difference, or 20 watts if you’re pedalling at 200 w. My complaint about the bePRO was that it broke down after 3 years and 3 months, but accuracy was never a problem (according to DC Rainmaker)

Also, there could of course be a calibration problem with either the Neo or the bePRO pedal. Might help if you uninstall bePRO, reinstall it, do a dynamic calibration (then static of course) and see if there are any changes vs. the Neo.

I ever made a power comparison for Assioma Duo vs Elite Direto. They were almost same (same AP, NP, slight difference on max Power). Read the detail, Direto had a little delayed response while suddenly making power change(to higher or to lower). Not sure if Uno will make higher deviation or not.

you could do the weighted calibration, where you hang a known weight of 10kg on the pedal and take the measured value on your bike computer and put it into a formula - it will give you the % accuracy of your powermeter. you can then configure the offset with the bepro updater software to make it 100% accurate.

Indoors and outdoors are two different things. Most folk can push higher outdoors due primarily to air cooling. I’m the opposite I push harder indoors when I don’t have to worry about traffic and falling off. So my numbers with my be pro s are slightly higher indoors as compared to out.

You could run both the Taxc and Be ProS in parallel indoors. Say Taxc on TR and the Be Pro S on your head unit. Then see what the difference is (some is probably reasonable) and you won’t really know what is too high or too low.

I’d just do all your training indoors and out with the Be Pro S, it doesn’t matter if its wrong as long as its consistent and you can’t exactly take the Taxc outdoors on a ride :wink::+1:

Iam also using BePro duals since mid 2016 (got 2 sets) of them and since 1 week a new Kickr5.

After doing several static calibrations in the past i was quiet happy with the powerreadings. (although the software correction factors are like 5% and above).

With the new Kickr5 iam experiencing a problem when comparing powerreadings from the Kickr5 and the Favero Bepro Duals… with 90rpm at 220W Ergmode Bepro is reading around +5% above the Kickr5.

When reducing cadence in ergmode to 60rpm the powerreadings of Bepro and Kickr5 are pretty the same (same wattage in erg).

when increasing RPM to 120 bepro is showing 7+% above Kickr. (same wattage in erg.

So its either a Kickr Problem or a Bepro thing.

Can anyone reproduce these effects with other trainers or with the Kickr5?

thx. Leander

I think I experienced similar between the Be ProS and the Suito. At low cadences they are similar but at higher cadences the Suito tends to lag and be behind. I can’t remember by how much I went with the BeProS and ignored the Suito. The when I was steadily increasing power it seems to react better so I felt happier. It doesn’t have to be in my mind 100% accurate just 100% consistent :neutral_face:

FWIW, I have a 4iiii on my other bike and it was the same the Suito would lag behind the 4iiii and seem to reach a ceiling when I was still increasing power.

Thanks. Iam going to test it a bit more. At the moment it seems like my Kickr5 works different if the Flywheel Speed is either low or high.

When the flywheel speed is low, the power from Kickr5 seems to high and when the speed is high the power readings from Kickr seem to low.

Iam switching to the Kickr5 thread and try to get answers.

1 Like