Favero Assioma Users

So far so good - two rides since updating and zero drops or issues :crossed_fingers:

No drops for me today either (little blip is me adjusting my shoe strap). Didn’t do the zero offset pre ride, but I’d also be curious to see how/when they do the offset and how accurate it is if not left in the 12:00/6:00 position. I don’t have another good power meter to compare them to, then again I’ve not compared to anything in a long time so wouldn’t even have a point of reference. Doing this workout felt fine though, at least in the sense that nothing felt grossly off power wise.

1 Like

I’m no expert on these things but I would have thought that the best way to do an auto calibration would be to wake up the pedals (couple of turns of the cranks) and leave them for a minute or so to let them do their thing. Just jumping on the bike, clipping in and riding off (with weight on the pedals) doesn’t seem right… Or am I missing something?

From Favero Technical themselves from an email i sent for clarification

“It is necessary to complete at least one new manual zero offset calibration only after each new installation of the pedals, you can start your ride without any thoughts about the zero offset calibration”

The fact that I still dont know how exactly the auto calibration works and when it happens bothers me.

I think the users should know the basics of it, so they can behave accordingly

1 Like

Or the system can be designed in a way that the user doesn’t need to do anything special.

3 Likes

Yes but that should be said in some satisfactory way:)

You know how cyclists brain work, we can stress about the smallest things:)

2 Likes

When I went to update the firmware, mine were not visible from the iPad app. I then grabbed my Android phone and was able to connect right away.

1 Like

Thanks - will give this a go!

I have had my pedals since May 2018. I ride about 8-10 hrs/week throughout the year with them. I initally had some problems in that they did not “turn-off” when I stopped riding which depleted the battery very quickly. I contacted Favero who quickly sent me a firmware update that fixed the problem.

Bruce

“So, just to be clear: with the new firmware update, I don’t need to do anything or even leave the cranks in a certain position (eg, 6-12)? I can just jump on my bike, start pedalling and the Assiomas will take care of everything? The only time I need to do a manual zero is when swapping the pedals between bikes?”

Hmm… the only time I have ever done a zero-offset is when I swap the pedals between bikes. Those were the instructions when I got them 3 years ago.

1 Like

As far as the hop on the bike and go notion, if you’re moving the bike before you get on chances are the pedals are waking up in the process anyway. If you aren’t, they aren’t pairing to your headunit right away since they are not awake (Ive had this happen when leaving a cafe stop) and you don’t get power and cadence readings for about 10 seconds

I have a habit to spin the crank backwards 1-2 rotations before setting off to give the pedals time to wake up and reconnect to the wahoo. Assuming the auto calibration happens as soon as they are awake before load is applied.

True it doesn’t take more than a few seconds to manually do the offset calibration, but it’s nice to know the auto function is there in case I forget I don’t have to worry “are my numbers totally off”

FWIW, I updated the firmware a couple of days ago and the pedals have worked just as well as before. They continue to track within 1-2% of my trainer. Just the way I dismount my bike my pedals naturally end up vertical. The bike is left on the trainer (vertical) and I’m not a triathlete so I take my shoes with me. Auto calibration seems to be working well.

3 Likes

Yes, just ride according to Favero tech

I’ve cycled to work and just realized I’ve left my bike leant at 45 degrees - if that doesn’t mess up this auto cal then nothing will :upside_down_face:

I still haven’t got clarification on exactly when the auto-calibration occurs, but this is the latest feedback I got with respect to leaving shoes on the pedals as well as asking about the comments about 6/12 crank position.

"Considering the auto-calibration is an upgrade compared to the manual calibration, it is no more necessary that the crank-arms are in 6/12 position.
As far as the pressure on the pedals is concerned, Assioma algorithm can understand when there is pressure and when there isn’t, so it will automatically calculate when to calibrate and how.

In any case, if you want to continue performing the manual calibrations, it is not a problem considering these values will overwrite the ones calculated by the auto-calibration."

1 Like

Which program / website did you use for that comparison? Looks good.

ZwiftPower.com (Profile | Analysis). You have to subscribe to Zwift, though. DCAnalyzer also does similar analyses, but you also have to pay for that, too. I’m not aware of any free sites that do it. You can probably do something similar in a spreadsheet if you import the FIT files, but it will take a little bit of work the first time.

1 Like

Cheers. I’ve used Rainmaker’s tool a few times in the past. I like the clean, easy to see at a glance appearance of that Zwift tool though. Unfortunately, I haven’t got a Zwift subscription.

Golden Cheetah has a compare function that’s not limited to the PDC and free.

2 Likes