Favero Assioma MTB Hack - Xpedo CXR Pedals?

I have read through a good bit of the Assioma MTB Hack thread here, and watched @GPLama’s videos using MForce 4 and MForce 8 pedals for the swap. However, at present these two pedal models seem quite hard to find. Given this fact, are the other Xpedo MTB models (in particular, the CXR models) compatible with the Assioma spindles?

Thanks!

1 Like

@mcneese.chad, I promise one day I will start categorizing and tagging my own posts. :man_facepalming: However, I am always impressed at the speed with which you promptly tag and categorize new topics.

3 Likes

LOL, my OCD on full display there :stuck_out_tongue:

No sweat either way. It’s almost a reflex for me to watch for these and edit when needed.

CXRs should work I believe. A couple people in the thread you mentioned have used them. You won’t likely find the M-Force 4s anymore (that’s what I used) as they’ve been discontinued.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the CXR is what most of us used in the beginning of that thread. I certainly did. I found them very squeaky, but lots of others said they were not.

1 Like

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/search?q=Cxr%20topic%3A18627

2 Likes

Thanks. Obviously, I should have read back through the thread again (it had been a while). Could have easily answered my own question. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Glad to help. I figured a picture was worth a 1000 words in this case.

I’ve used a CXR with no problems.

2 Likes

Another CXR user here, I did have an odd issue when tightening the retaining bolt to 9NM where it just dug into the plastic power body (other pedal tightened up perfectly), so watch out you don’t go crazy on it there…

Similarly, I destroyed the Xpedo cartridge bearings by tightening to 9NM. Had to replace them with the Favero original ones.

Also, my Giro Rumble VR shoes are not compatible with this hack (see photos).

Ordered RX8s, hope they will work better.

You can possibly trim the rubber away on the sole to get clearance. I did so on my shoes.

I did the MTB SPD conversion and there’s one thing that I would caution about. If you use them for actually mountain biking then the pedal, including the electronics pod is going to get hit when you have pedal strikes. I hit mine maybe a dozen times on as many rides. That said, they still work fine. But, I decided that I really needed a crank based power meter on the MTB.

I still use my converted Assiomas on the road and gravel, since I use the same bike and shoes for both. Though I swap pedal bodies if I do a real long road ride or race.

1 Like