Favero Assioma and Cleats

Thanks. I tried around a bit and had the same impression but I am not good at physics :sweat_smile:
Since a number of you wrote about the spring settings, I checked these and found it helpful to loosen them a bit. My foot can now move a bit easier than before. I wasn’t aware that the spring setting also adjusts the room for movement of the foot (at least a bit). Hope this helps others looking for the best setting…

1 Like

Kind of reviving this old thread. I’ve got two road bikes and one set of favero pedals. Will favero cleats conversely work with keo blade pedals? That way if I flat mid crit I can just do a bike swap and hop back in

I use look keo cleats with my assiomas with zero issues. I researched and ready multiple forums/watched multiple youtube pages. I’ve had 0 issues

Ditto! Look keo cleats we’re useless. I thought the same thing after watching @GPLama’s video!

I ended up getting these from amazon. They work great.

Favero Replacement Cleats

As posted above, it appears the shoe type used with these Look-ish or Look official cleats has an influence on the clip-in ‘quality’. I’m assuming there’s some kind of distortion of the cleat once it’s bolted down… maybe. Not something I’ve come across with Shimano SPD-SL cleats.

1 Like

I tried the included cleats and Look keo and ultimately could not get used to these pedals after more than 3 months.

I had it unclip several times and the clip in was so mushy I had no confidence in them. Maybe the show type does matter as @GPLama is stating.

Outside of clip in, I could not deal with how much these spin everytime I took off. I ended up going with Garmin Rally instead.

Just hopefully the converse is fine, using favero cleats with keo pedals. I don’t see why not

I had no problems with the Favero cleats for the BeProS when I used them in a hire track bike with Keo pedals. A few years later I replaced the Favero cleats with official Look cleats. The Favero cleats are marginally slimmer (at least for the Be Pro S) so I had to trim the sides of the Look official cleats them to clear the Favero power pod on float.

1 Like

Should be fine - I’ve used XPedo cleats (I’m pretty certain that’s what those are) with Look Keos in the past without issue.

1 Like

Odd issue I’ve started having; I’m getting side-side play between look cleats (both red and grey) and the pedal. I don’t mean float, but roll, like if you imagine a plane rotating about its long axis. It’s a few Deg at the foot, but really pronounced but the time it gets to the knee. Anyone come across this before?

Well, Keo cleats looks same as orginal favero but they are 1mm thicker. Heal part also, so they clip in harder, barely click beocuse spring is outstretched. My assiomas are from 2018 probably so springs are thougher. I will try fully loose them and try be happy with those cleats beocuse I bought 3 pairs :P.

1 Like

Yip, with the older Favero Be Pro S I have to take a scalpel to the keo cleats or they rub the pod.

I’m struggling to find any consensus from reading this. Seems like total hit or miss with no one cleat having a significantly better track record than the others?

I’m trying to decide which cleats to try in the first instance. I’m coming from Shimano Blue (2 degree) cleats which I’m happy with. I don’t want to go fixed, but 6 degrees seems like it would be a lot. There are some Keo Grip Greys in the order with my Assiomas but I can’t work out if it even makes sense to try them. Are there even any other minimal float options out there?

Since @GPLama suspects cleat distortion maybe it’s helpful to mention I’m on S-Works 7 shoes?

Why do you think 6 degree is too much? You should be pushing down on the pedal, not twisting your ankle. If float were an issue then anyone using speedplays wouldnt be able to ride at all. Just stick the supplied cleats on there and go ride and all will be fine.

2 Likes

Fair point. I guess I started with shi-blue because I wanted a distinctly tighter feel than the 2-bolt SPDs I’d been using previously, but I’ve no real reason to say I’d have an issue with 6deg. Will try the included cleats first and see what I think. Cheers!

Look cleats have a lot more built-in friction in rotation than a Speedplay setup, for example; so the rotation float isn’t really noticeable the way it is on Speedplays.

One thing I found with my Assiomos is that they seemed to require more of a turn to release than what I was use to with my old Looks. At first I was using them with Keo red cleats (9 deg of float) and I was having real trouble releasing from them because I had to turn my foot so far I was coming up against the limits of my ankle flexibility. Admittedly, my Keo cleats were pretty worn and I have not gone back and tried them with fresh Keos but, it appears float can affect the release point and not just affect you while pedaling. If I go back to trying Keo cleats I’m going to try the grey 4.5 float ones.

I’m currently running the Assiomo cleats that came with the pedals and they are fine when pedalling, no excessive float. And I have no trouble releasing them But I do find them harder to clip in to as it seems like for me the no slip rubber catches.

1 Like