Expectations of TR and AT

Yes exactly. The TR plans don’t seem to know there can be other types of workouts between sweetspot and endurance and that this can be progressed through a season. I guess I was hoping some machine learning would figure this out - maybe that will come one day.

Agreed. I learned the hard way years ago when I didn’t know any better. I was following a mid volume triathlon plan and just hit a wall not recognizing the signs I was overdoing it before it was too late.

1 Like

Ya, my intensity days look nothing like TR.

Maybe the new traditional base plans would work? They start off mostly endurance with a little tempo and then add more tempo and eventually sweet spot. You get 12 weeks of a pretty decent base with zone 2, some zone 3, and then zone 4. Don’t think there is anything above threshold.

3 Likes

I have been using TR for years to train for multi-day mountain bike races. I have ranged from LV all the way to HV. In the past I would hit the wall in the build phase because it would just become to much. Since they introduced plan builder and AT I have been able to complete all my workout and have seen progress even when my FTP hasn’t increased. From my perspective it is doing exactly what I would expect. Keep up the good work @trainerroad!

10 Likes

for base they are a pretty good start - but its when we hit build and specialty that things get silly with intensity in particular IMHO

1 Like

No you are all just gathered in a single thread that agree with one another. You are having confirmation bias making you think you are the majority

6 Likes

And if that’s true, have a look at the number of likes on this post

2 Likes

I was part of the beta, and now have been using adaptive training for half/full IM preparation. In my opinion, AT is better than what we had, and is still improving, with the caveat that sometimes the algorithm can be pretty obviously wrong in recommending workouts that are too easy. But in this case, you kinda know you’re slacking, and all you need to do is schedule a “Stretch” workout or two, et voila! Back on track.

The one thing I’m not sure about is whether or not I’ll trust the algorithm for is the final 8-week block, especially the taper portion. We’ll see.

5 Likes

I have seen the same, although I reckon TR wants to err on the side of caution.

1 Like