Etape du Tour Training

More sound advice @willball12

Funnily enough I came across these links today @mattmox which might also help but mirror the sound advice here in some cases.

5 hour A Race, But Plan builder Workouts Only 2 Hours Max?](5 hour A Race, But Plan builder Workouts Only 2 Hours Max?

I’ve just been keeping myself ticking over since the lockdown kicked in and like yourself my training has been less intense these last couple of months at least. Booking flights for the September 6th Etape was the booster I and many others would have needed to get that training spark that was missing.

I was actually building up early season with Climbing Road Race LV but have this week reconsidered and now starting Century HV even after starting this thread with questions about LV! My main concern remains regarding weekends. What I’m definitely doing is one long weekend ride to perfect nutrition, get mentally ready for long hours in the saddle, and you’ll see in the linked posts theres something about type 1 and type 2 muscle usage and you need to do long rides to really train one of them. I also have 3 kids under 7 so the longer i’m out the better!

What 'm not sure about is the Century Saturday rides utilise over/under workouts. I would still like to incorporate then as they would seem important. I’m considering a super early Sat morning (so as not dropping family responsibilities )under/over WO as prescribed and also do a long but easy ride that will be approved by my wife on the Sunday. I’m just concerned thats tipping the balance into fatigue and negative effect. I guess its trying to find that balance in the middle somewhere. I still need to think about that for this weekend!

I’m now also freaking out about using 50mm carbon clincher rim brake wheels for descending.!!!

I said in my original post that I’m an experienced amateur, by that I mean I’ve been cycling for about 7 years now and just started some road racing 2 years ago, I’m 42. This will be a monster for me in terms of climbing and time in the saddle so this is why getting the long ride at the weekend is so important to me as it is with you too. The Scottish Highland have their climbs but nothing to compare.

It is difficult juggling around family and all of my HV training will revolve around them during the week when they are in bed.

You are probably wondering why I jumped to HV. It’s purely to get weekly volume under my belt on top of a long ride at the weekend, an element of learning to ride with fatigue. I’m just winging it!

I hope this helps a little, the advice given on this forum has been great and I’m thankful to all for their input.

I wish you all the best with your training @mattmox.

2 Likes