Emonda 2021 New Pictures

I have not seen this version yet, but the high spacer cosmetic issue is a common one for any of the aero or integrated front ends. Tall just looks odd in those cases.

I don’t know but I think maaaybe there was a press embargo on the Trek Emonda that ended an hour ago?

2 Likes

Yeah, same as any big model release we see these days.

Love it but can’t justify the purchase for myself. I have a 2016 emonda SL kitted up just how I want it, and if I sell it I’d have to add $3000 or so to get the SL7, which would have worse wheels and bars than what I have now, and only be marginally faster.

I’m still faster than the vast majority of my friends on aero bikes, so no need to go spend the money yet, or ever if these guys never get on the TR train

1 Like

Yeah man but disc brakes are awesome. I can’t see myself going back to rim brakes after making the transition over to discs

3 Likes

Oh for sure, but I live outside of Philadelphia so the most mountain stuff we have is 2000ft and it’s a 2 hour drive. I never really “need” discs, but I do agree they are better and I’d still buy a disc version of whatever if I was buying any bike today

Just read the Bikeradar reviews. Looks like a nice, well rounded bike overall. Would definitely consider it if looking for a new road bike.

However see little reason to upgrade from my current Emonda SLR. The new frame is slightly heavier but does have some aero benefit. Not huge though - I believe they quoted 15 seconds climbing Alpe d’Huez but a little more on the flats. I just purchased a second wheelset for my SLR, Enve Foundation 65’s, for some added aero benefit on the flats and may get an aero bar as well. While maybe not as aero as the new bike, should be pretty close. When I head to the hills, can put the Aeolus 3 TLR D3 wheelset back on.

However with road bikes evolution and not revolution is likely what one can expect given the maturity of the technology.

This follows the change in knowledge and resulting shift that aero typically matters more than weight. Spesh as well with the new Tarmac, is moving in the more mild-aero direction. The Tarmac and Emonda creep into the range of the more aero options (Venge and Madone) and it leads to more confusion about which to choose. The Madone with IsoSpeed has more notable difference compared to the Venge, but still a close comparison between the aero and lite bikes.

1 Like

I want that new bar stem combo

$650: Bontrager Aeolus RSL VR-C Handlebar

3 Likes

Any issues with putting the integrated RSL VR-C bar on the prior gen Emonda with Di2?

I think at this point nobody really knows, but looking at the pictures online I dont see any reason you couldnt.

1 Like

According to the road,cc review, Trek told them that rim brake versions of this bike just didn’t sell.

3 Likes

The disks are nice for descending!

3 Likes

Looks lovely and reminds me of the Look 795 Blade.

https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/emonda/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=au_social&utm_campaign=emonda_launch&utm_content=organic

2 Likes

Just ordered the Matte and Onyx SLR9. Should be here in 21 days.

4 Likes

I find it funny that they went back to a one-piece handlebar and stem after switching to a two-piece on the Madone.

2 Likes

LBS has a dark silver metallic SL6 in my size. :open_mouth: It’s pretty awesome to look at, but the aforementioned stem spacers are pretty bad up close. Overall seems like a perfect blend of light and aero, but you all know that because that’s what they’ve been touting for it already.

I’ll be happy on my 2020 SL7 for a few years.

Excited to hear how it rides. Excited to hear any feedback

TREK’s answer to this question is that disc brakes sold more when they ran them both in parallel. Rather than produce a lower ratio of rim brake it seems they just focused all their energy on disc.