Emonda 2021 New Pictures

The Madone carried the same thinking since the newest gen. SLR gets full aero handlebar setup, SL gets more conventional bar/stem.

1 Like

Agree with Chad. Have a current gen Emonda SLR and I built it at the time as a lightweight climbing bike but it’s turned out to be incredibly comfortable. I’ve ridden with it Conti 28s since day 1, originally GP4000s with latex tubes and now for the past two years with GP5000’s 28s set up tubeless. Many, many long Sunday rides on this bike.

The mast and cap set up has not been an issue. Set it up initially and haven’t really thought about it much.

It will be interesting to see how the new bike compares. The cleaner cockpit will certainly be nice. Cleaner Di2 integration would be nice. I’ve got the junction box sitting under my stem. Aero handlebars on the SLR would make a lot of sense assuming they remain light. I’ve been toying with switching to an aero set myself this year but ended up buying a Checkpoint instead…

5 Likes

I have an Alu 2020 that is my trainer/travel bike. Same color scheme but silver logos. It’s a great bike. I think back to those old aluminum bikes and this just feels nothing like them. My race bike is carbon, but for a budget bike that I can abuse without worry, I love the alu Emonda.

2 Likes

I was SHOCKED how comfortable the new Madone was with the rear and top tube isospeed decoupling. I’m being honest when I’m saying I’m not sure how the ride could get more comfortable. It is the blend of the speed of the Madone and the compliance of the Domane. Now I get the Emonda is the lightweight, but based on what the flo guys have shown with weight vs aero for wheels, how much different is that for a bike. Disclaimer, I don’t know the actual weight difference of the the Domane vs Madone.

1 Like

Yea, I don’t think anybody will argue that this will be more aero or stiff than the Madone. But if Trek can make this more aero compared to the previous Emonda at or below the same weight, that’s a win. I haven’t ridden either Trek, but if they’re like the Venge and Tarmac, I can see the need of two different bikes. I would choose the Tarmac any day just for the feel. Aero may be faster in most situations, but the Tarmac is just more fun to ride. I’m sure many people feel the same about the Emonda.

1 Like

Love it, everything I was hoping for. Glad the seat mast remains for comfort, as well as traditional seatstays instead of that dropped design everyone uses now.

Probably not a huge jump for me coming from a 2015 Emonda, but I’m glad to see this thing here

2 Likes

I’ve actually got an ISP TCR and an Emonda with a seat mast cap - both have been faultless. Can’t say it would swing my decision one way or the other TBH. But I’ve been waiting for this new Emonda to come out (discs, yay).

It’s been announced on the Trek Germany site apparently.

5 Likes

Praise be, threaded T47 bottom bracket

6 Likes

I currently have a 2017 SL5, it is on it’s 3rd BB and going into local trek dealer this week to have one of the new oversized bb90 fitted. I contacted Trek directly to find out if they recommend having this done and if it affects bike warranty? Their response was that this can be dine once only, the bike then needs to be sent to Trek to have the BB re shelled.
I love my emonda apart from this issue but won’t buy another until they go with the T47.

The new one is T47.

1 Like

Ditto, confirmed threaded now.

Great news

Hey Chad you work in a Trek store I think… BB90 hasn’t been an issue for me but I read comments like this all over the Internet. I’m heavy and ride rough roads. Had to replace the bearings (a few cracked) at ~5,000 miles and current set are at 15K miles. What’s the deal with press fit vs threaded?

Yeah, I do part time and we sell Trek AND Specialized. The basic issue with PF BB is that tolerances can vary and on some bikes, ends with creaking noise when the bearings start floating a bit in the bearing seats. Lots of bodge fixes can be applied with varying success.

Not all PF BB’s creak, but they do happen. And when they start, it’s a pain to fix. I’ve had good luck with all my PF BB bikes, but I have seen friends and customers with repeat issues, and it’s beyond annoying for all involved.

Threaded still has bearing pressed in the bearing shell, but it’s a metal interaction in most cases, and the machining tolerances seem better than the plastic cups so often used in PF BB frames. So primary bearing interface with a threaded BB is superior in nearly all cases. Then the fact that the bearing assembly can be installed and torqued nearly eliminates any chance for creeks. It can happen in rare cases, but not usually when proper installation is done.

And the threaded is something any competent home mechanic can do with simple tools. PF BB maintenance and repair takes more specialized tools and is more tricky to get right. So threaded wins out on a lot of fronts.

1 Like

I’d be using the BBInfinite solution at this point if I were you.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road-bikes/émonda/c/B211/?sort=price-desc&pageSize=72&q=%3Arelevance%3AnewFlag%3ANEW#

2 Likes

So…kind of related. While I try to find a frame to build I have one concern from past experiences with securing saddles. A Trek rep said they don’t offer 7x9 saddle caps. Can y’all share your experiences using 7x9 oval rails in the 7x10 oval caps Trek uses on their caps?

Mine weren’t great.

Here’s the link :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have seen it in person at a local dealer and must say the spacer situation looks hideous on an otherwise good looking bike.

Slam it or forget it if you want the new emonda :rofl: