Electrolytes Suggestions

Best I’ve found and very inexpensive.

2 Likes

https://nbs-nutrition.com/

1 Like

I’m a human salt lick after even a moderate ride. My black bibs and gloves are gray after 90 min in sunny & 60’s F. In actual heat, the salt balls up on my arms and falls off. I like the Precision Hydration 1500. I just started with it in the fall, so not a lot of hot days to truly test it, but my drippy basement activities have had far fewer cramps.

-Tim

How many grams of Maltodextrine / Fructose do you do on your water bottles?

That all depends on the duration and intensity of the ride. But my absolute max when it’s like a 3 hour smashfest is 100g maltodextrine + 50g fructose in an 800ML bottle. Usually aim for about 2 bottles per 3 hours, so that would get me 100g of carbs / hour. Anything over that and my gut starts to disagree.

Most commong for my riding is 90-120g of carbs per bottle. So 60/30 or 80/40 malto/fruc.

On indoor rides things change a bit because I sweat a lot more due to limited cooling. There I aim for one 800ml bottle per hour and adjust the carbs accordingly.

1 Like

When I did cape epic I got blister packs of salt (electrolyte) pills from a chemist in South Africa and just popped one into my mouth regularly along with my usual nutrition. Worked really well but haven’t seen them since…

This type of solution works well if your nutrition is in your bottles and you need extra. If you keep nutrition separate from bottles then a decent product listed above is ideal. Something like precision hydration when you can get a product that suits your sweat profile is necessary for big events and stage races!

1 Like

I use Propel packets in my water bottles. Not it compares to Hammer or the other brands but it’s readily available and not too expensive.

if you think skratch is too sweet stay away from the SiS powder. They took a sugared electrolyte mix and then thought “hmm, not sweet enough. Let’s add aspartame.” I’m enduring my small tub of it with the aid of some added straight lemon juice(to the lemon lime flavor). The only upside to the powder is that it is extremely fine, like wear a dust mask fine, so it dissolves very quickly and easily. The SiS GO tabs are a go-to for me though. The lemon is just sweet enough without much added sugar (aspartame again) but the added B vitamins really help out making it feel on occasion like I was drinking a sugared mix. For me, I found skratch lemons and limes and lemon matcha to be quite palatable so I’m going back to those when my SiS is finally empty. I thought Nuun lemon lime tasted pretty good but to get it all the dissolve I had to plan a day in advance.

1 Like

To that logic, considering sodium is the largest component, why bother with electrolytes at all? cheaper to use cordial

1 Like

I add this to my bottles. 1.5g per bottle matches pretty well with the salts per serving in the Infinit I was using before.

I’ve just started using the same one from Bulk Powders. I don’t mind it as is, or add a squeeze of lemon juice. Seems to be working well so far.

1 Like

Is there a US equivalent to the UK’s Bulk Powder?

‘Zero’ from High5… available with or without caffeine.

High5 “zero”

My go to is Bolero…
-Zero Cal
-Sugar Free
-No Carbs
-65 Flavors

Think they are available in the UK as well…

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BoleroSales