Dynamic Endurance Not Increasing

I had a 6 month plan with dynamic endurance set to a maximum of 300 minutes since I was training for a century. In the beginning of the plan my Sunday dynamic endurance rides were 150 minutes but they never got any longer. Halfway through the plan I increased the length of my Saturday workouts from 45 minutes to 60 minutes. After that my dynamic endurance rides stayed at 90 minutes for the entire duration of the plan.

I don’t really understand how a maximum ride length of 90 minutes is really supposed to train me for a 6 hour ride. I ended up ignoring the suggested ride duration and adding in a bunch of longer rides on Sundays throughout the plan.

Now I’m on a new plan and my dynamic endurance rides are set to a maximum of 150 minutes. This plan is a masters plan so my Saturday rides are a 60 minutes endurance ride. Not very taxing. Nevertheless, over the next month my dynamic endurance rides are stuck at 90 minutes. There’s zero progression. The plan is also suggesting a maximum of 270 TSS per week in spite of the fact that I’ve been doing 300-330 TSS just about every week. If not more.

It seems like dynamic endurance is completely broken. It’s is a nice idea but my TSS hasn’t increased and my ride lengths aren’t increasing either. Even over a 7+ month period. I opened a ticket with support already and they told me that dynamic endurance is actually behaving as expected. So, I guess the feature’s just pointless. Idk I guess I’m just wondering if anyone else is actually seeing it work as expected or if someone else can give me a second opinion here.

I just went in and looked at TR building a plan. Set it to Grand Fondo. Set the time for my A event to 7hrs. It gave me a Dynamic Endurace of 300 min. Don’t know if that helps you in any way

That’s “Max duration”

They never actually give you that amount of time when the plan gets built out.

Thanks
Good to know. I was thinking of trying that.
Now I just ride long 4 or 5 hours on Sundays. Soon as it cools off, prob increase that to 7 or 8

I noticed this with dynamic endurance too. Sometimes it did build, other times not. I’m sure there’s a reason but I couldn’t be bothered figuring out what it was. I just went in and changed the duration of the workout manually or selected a longer alternate that was the length I wanted.

Not how I would expect the platform to work but I’ve got better things to faff with tbh and that worked for me.

I had the same problem this summer with Dynamic Endurance. It took way too long to increase the time. In the end I just started adding time on my own
I like the idea of Dynamic Endurance but at the speed it was going I think the plan would have ended and it would have never gotten me up to three hours of ride time.

They’ve talked about long endurance rides on the podcast several times. TR holds a pretty strong stance that adding lots of endurance riding isn’t the best way to make you faster, so I wouldn’t be surprised that they’re not piling it on.

I have my sunday ride set to dynamic endurance, 5 hours, and it seems to fluctuate between 1-2.5 hours.

I always find this interesting because, while adding distance/time might not be the best way to make riders faster, coming into a long event without having done any long rides can often be detrimental (generally due to fueling inadequacies or general discomfort from not being used to being on the bike for so long).

I kind of feel like if the rider is on, for example, an ‘improve my FTP’ program then, by all means, keep the endurance rides shorter and focus on the things that will work towards that goal. But if the rider has a plan with an A event that they have estimated to be, say, 6 hours (and they have put into their plan that they are able to train 4+ hours on a day), then I feel that TR should be scheduling a 4+ hour endurance ride at least once a month (provided the plan is of adequate duration).

Scheduling only shorter (<3 hour) endurance rides just feels like a blind spot in the programming that could/should be remedied. Sure, the rider can always just ignore the suggested duration from TR and do the long rides, and then let TR adapt, but I feel that TR actually scheduling the longer rides would be preferable.

Does seem strange, if you wish to be faster for long events. Durability is key and without long rides with back end efforts, you will not develop it.

Don’t only chase a bigger fresh FTP. A rider who holds 95% of their FTP at hour four will beat a rider with a higher fresh FTP who fades to 80%.

What Separates World-Class Cyclists from Amateurs

Then why even offer the feature?

The longest I ever got was 3 hours which got backed down to 2 by the time I actually got to the workout. My A race this fall is 9 hours.

This feature is broken at best.

Similar experience here: