Dylan Johnson's "The Problem with TrainerRoad Training Plans": it's gonna be a busy day around here

I’m never gonna do low intensity rides on the trainer. I’d just get bored out of my mind

33 Likes

According to that podcast, those two studies still hold the all-time records for biggest cardiac and muscular improvements. If anything it therefore seems that more recent researchers have just gone soft. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

While he’s certainly looking to up his viewership with this video, I sincerely doubt that he’s looking to steal TR customers. He does personal coaching and I would be surprised if he could handle more that 20 athletes at any given time. I would be also surprised if he was accepting new clients.

19 Likes

I am a fan of TR and the podcast.
Dylan’s assessment is credible.

It would be a missed opportunity to NOT have him on your show.
Have a growth mindset and if you’re wrong, make the changes.
Don’t be stubborn to “defend” a position.

134 Likes

There’s nothing to be had bringing him on the show. He’s just another YouTube’r with an opinion, it’s not like he brings something special.

Yeah, the TR team almost looks to defend their plans. It’s feeling a bit disingenuous at times. I get it from a business standpoint, but they have to recognize the flaws.

16 Likes

I’ve wanted to see him here a while. He’s obviously had lots of success as an athlete, and seems fairly objective in the videos I’ve seen. Also as someone said, not like he’s here to steal customers. I wonder what the plans would look like if they hired him :face_with_monocle:

10 Likes

I’m a fan of Dylan Johnson and a fan of TR. Dylan makes some good points in this video, and I thought it was done in a reasonably respectful manner. As a man over 55 years of age, it didn’t take long for me to realize that I needed to replace some of the intensity rides in some of TR’s prescribed plans with easier Z2 rides, particularly in the build phase.

On the other hand, I think TR plans are often misunderstood and thus assertions are made about their plans that lack context or full understanding. For instance, criticism about TR’s HV SSB plans rarely mention how TR has publicly stated on numerous occasions that very few people should be attempting those plans or how TR repeatedly tries to direct newcomers to the low volume plans then increase volume by adding Z2 rides vs. doing a higher volume plan and overdoing it. Critics also often to neglect to view the weekly tips that often suggest replacing a sweet spot ride with a Z2 ride.

In the end, I think Dylan and TR agree on a lot more than they disagree on, and much of their differences are based more on misperceptions than anything else. Just as an FYI, I am just finishing SSB mid volume 1 and 2. I did the plans as they were originally prescribed by replacing the weekend SS ride with a Z2 ride (TR originally prescribed these plans this way and only changed it when the compliance with the Z2 ride was very low). I also added 20-30 minutes of easy Z2 riding at the end of some of the interval sessions, again, just as TR has promoted. The results were decidedly “pyramidal”, something Dylan has been very approving of.

109 Likes

The second I see him start talking about a 3 zone model even though TR plans aren’t based on the 3 zone model

bait

Don’t reward him for obvious clickbait

There are valid criticisms of TR’s plans, but come on man. Try harder.

45 Likes

There is evidence to support pyramidal training and Frank’s training plans reflect that. However, event the FasCat plans have only 2ish SS workouts per week with another 2ish tempo rides and a couple z2 endurance rides with one full day off. It’s a far more tempered approach than TR.

Though Dylan doesn’t use the pyramidal approach, he does identify it as a valid method.

5 Likes

Edited because I have no dog in this fight.

Just take it for what it is, clickbait. He’s trying to troll TR’s name / popularity to drive up his viewership and popularity of his channel. Like when sufferfrst said FTP is dead. Y’all a sucker for basic marketing and the select group who constantly whine it’s too hard will use it to beat their chest.

10 Likes

Are you ok?. I’m surprised you post this. It’s a really silly point. Go back and watch again. H

14 Likes

I think I agree with Dylan on TR having too much intensity. I keep trying TR for a while, burning out, taking a break, then trying again and burning out again.

I maybe an outlier on the low end of the curve for how much intensity i can handle, but I think the people that are on TR are a self selecting group that are on the very high end of how much intensity they can handle, if they where not they would of burned out and canceled there subscription long ago. This would also explain why you see so many stories of these huge ftp gains, TR self selects for outliers that can handle huge intensity and they make huge ftp gains and this makes for great PR.

When they say the data backs up their methods, they are not wrong exactly.
The data would show that people who stick to the plan have huge gains, more than any other method. But what the data is really showing is that only genetic outliers are able to stick to these plans.

Just a theory

30 Likes

But he does sell pre built plans, so it would be silly to forget that he is not doing videos as a public service, but as advertising for his product.

Honestly, making a video to call out TR just shows immaturity. Talk about the benefits of your training plans, but to specifically call out another coaching platform is just something a kid would do.

I havent seen his pre built plans, but something tells me they dont work perfect for everybody, just as TR plans dont work perfectly for everybody. Prebuilt is only going to be so good and some self modification will be needed to suit each person.

24 Likes

I think DJ is taking what TrainerRoad is trying to do out of context. One of the things about TrainerRoad’s approach vs. DJ is the difference in volume. I only have 8-12 hours a week to train on a good week so being able to have a Low Volume plan that I can add to works great for me. I would look at a coach+polarized plan if I had 15-20 hours a week to train consistently but with work/family that isn’t realistic. I think the platform is great for riders who don’t have a ton of time to sink into training. DJ and other coaches best serve folks who have a lot of time /disposable income to train and good for them.

20 Likes

TrainerRoad’s biggest asset is the ability to easily modify any plan and huge workout library. If you are not doing so, you are not optimizing the potential of the platform.

84 Likes

DJ is not only looking to grow his coaching business, but also grow and and continue to monetize his youtube channel. This is his job. So views means $$$. DJ is very aware on what videos elicit views and has learned how to increase this. DJ has just tapped into the #1 training app and it’s customer base to watch his video. This video alone will make the most profit for him and likely exceed the profit of all of his other videos combined.

17 Likes

So @hubcyclist , blocking those that have a different opinion than you? Got it.

2 Likes

He literally addressed this point in the video. What’s wrong with you ppl! :man_shrugging:t2:

36 Likes

@MI-XC so he uses science and studies in a “petty way” but also makes some good points?

5 Likes