Drinking whilst on the trainer

One, but it’s huge and really does the job

wow… the difference was amazing… I’ve just done the Rock Lake workout… which isn’t easy… but put more SIS tablets in my bottle… I did drink one bottle but hardly any of the second and didn’t feel thirsty.

thanks for the advice

1 Like

You’re welcome :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Consider adding a fan that blows on your back. It took me several years add this, but it made a huge difference in my cooling and reduced by sweat rate a lot. It allows me to train harder at the same RPE - I think you have to agree that is a good thing. I use a VacMaster air mover to really target my back along with a big fan in the front (and a window fan pulling air outside, usually, too).

-3FanMan

3 Likes

Hey dude. This is from my experience. I too use up to four bottles for a 2 hour sweetspot session (example). I also use SIS tabs. But heres the clincher… make sure your bottles are cold :cold_face:! I mean either keep them in the fridge (premade long before you plan to workout) but also load some ice cubes in there. I cannot emphasize how much differnce it makes for the water to be ice cold. Am actually thinking bout ordering some camelbak thermal bottles for the longer stuff.

1 Like

Cheers…

I do actually use those thermal bottles and I do make them and put them in the fridge the night before.

1 Like

So the thermal bottles are worth the extra spend?

Not the OP, but I put some water in the thermal bottles the night before and lay it sideways to freeze it over night. Then when I go for rides, I have ice built into the bottle from top to bottom and can then make it last for 60-180 mins or so even in very hot weather depending on the amount of water I froze. I’m a big fan.

3 Likes

Oooh, the freezing sideways hack, lovin it.

2 Likes

Everybody recommends fans and all that. Yes, I agree.

But the game changer for your indoor training cave is an air-conditioner. You can get a freestanding portable for a couple hundred.

We moved houses a couple of years ago and I set up my indoor training in a basement room that had a window mounted AC. I’d set that thing to 60F and I’d hardly break a sweat. I think it makes training more effective. It certainly lowers RPE more in line with riding outside. If you have a puddle beneath you after a session, you need some AC.

Straight water and it works. So much of the supplements are so full of things I don’t need. And for cramping, I do a 500mg magnesium every night. It seems to work like magic.

I substitute a recovery mix from either Hammer or SIS, mixed half concentration, after a really hard ride. For hour rides, I do a banana and if over 90 minutes, sometimes squeeze a gel.

For mouth dryness I stick a tic-tac in each cheek. I figure it gives me some calories and something to increase salivation. YMMV…

Good fans are a must and as you point out, great for lowering RPE. I use two 20" fans, one blowing up from the front and the other from the rear and it’s great. They’re also really good at stopping the sweat from pouring down in the summer when I’m doing oil changes on our vehicles in the garage.

Lasko 20"

1 Like

Me too! For a moment I thought this was going to be a hilarious thread… :slight_smile:

Don’t forget the bar snacks to top up those electrolytes.

1 Like

Another way to increase sodium without the $$ of extra SIS tabs or having your bottles taste like sea water is sodium citrate. It’s a common cooking ingredient, so it’s fairly cheap.

I add 1/2 teaspoon to my regular sports drink (SIS/Skratch/First Endurance) to get me up to ~1000mg sodium without tasting like salt water.

3 Likes

Yeah I thought that’s what this thread was, and was curious if people had the same problem.

My Z2 rides kept extending to 4 hours long and I kept waking up on my bike. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

That was my read of the thread title as well.

I stopped drinking awhile ago but am a bit tempted to taking some thc edibles before z2 rides. It works fine with hiking and that’s similar intensity wise?