Does Everybody on TR race?

I get Plan Builder but at this point we have to match our event or goal to the Training Plan. Im sure it can get more granular than Gran Fondo, Rolling Road Race or 40kTT. If we have a chance to get more specific about what we are trying to do, im sure the Machine Language can sus out the successful training for that specific event. Ie right now Im just guessing what to do for Ragbri. Its seven days long with days from 70 to 120 miles. Gran Fondo sets you up for one big Day. I could eventually see you uploading a course and the ML analyzing elevation and terrain and setting up training with that info in relation to your power curve.

I participate in events but ā€œraceā€ is a strong word for what I do. My goal in my first race was to not be last. But getting stronger has made riding more fun. I donā€™t hate climbs as much, I can keep up with some of my friends, I have gas left in the tank to enjoy the downhills more. I donā€™t even bother with a plan. I just use train now

3 Likes

Yes, I will as soon as I can convince my wife and juggle time between 2 young childrenā€¦ :ok_hand:

1 Like

Iā€™m no pro by any means, just started racing this year, but it was racing that got me training. If I werenā€™t racing why would I care about getting faster? Prior years where I just rode socially I just rode socially, structured training had no appeal.

Iā€™d argue that if you ride socially but want to get fasterā€¦to pass your ā€œmatesā€ then youā€™re already in the racing mindset, just not doing registered events.

Iā€™ve never raced and donā€™t plan to. I ride for fitness (and enjoyment) and find structured training is good to keep me disciplined thru the winter.

I find that l listen to the podcast less and less as it is too much focused on racing.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a wide range of athletes using TrainerRoad on the competitive spectrum. We focus on athletes with goals and making them faster, whether they race or not.

Great suggestions here in this thread on how to build specifically for non-racer athletes. Being a bootstrapped company with limited resources, we have to focus on building features that serve the most athletes, which is why youā€™ve seen us prioritizing Adaptive Training, AI FTP Detection, etc. There are a lot of features we could build into Plan Builder that would serve specific groups, but as of now, weā€™re full gas on building out Adaptive Trainingā€™s functionality.

10 Likes

You get what you plan for, in this case a narrowing of the subscriber base. Iā€™ve just dropped my TR subscription after 14 months because I felt neglected. Iā€™m a 61 year old who loves to keep fit. Zwift bored my socks off. I love what AT & FTPD bring. Yet Iā€™ve gone elsewhere to escape what has increasingly looked like TRā€™s narrow focus - I could never get it close to matching what I need. Shame, real shame.

Itā€™s not about passing the others in the current social ride. Itā€™s about being able to hang with a faster crowd when they choose an interesting route. I hate getting dropped - always miss turns when Iā€™m alone. (Garmin noise is always just too late.)

As you said. ā€œWe focus on athletes with goals and making them faster, whether they race or notā€

Totally agree with Trainer Roads focus on making athletes faster. It just seems that focus is pointed primarily at racing. Racing is the top of the ā€œcompetitive spectrumā€ no doubt. I just wondered if TR had any idea of how many users actually pin on numbers vs those of us who use the platform for other reasons. I know way more cyclist who dont race than do. Just seems the non racers would be a big market if there was a way to incorporate them in a more meaningful manner. Im never going to be competitive to race but I do train so I can do big things (for me) on a bike. Whether its trying to keep up with Club rides, bike pack for a week, do Everestings or week long tour in Italy, there are so many other things to do on a bike that require training to get the best out of one s self.

" building features that serve the most athletes"

I guess thats what my original post was getting at. Are most of the users actively racing or are there a bunch of us club riders just trying to be the best we can be?

ā€œfull gas on building out AT functionalityā€

Yall are doing a great job. Just some thinking out loud on my part.

Just seems to really get granular, you would really want to know exactly what we are training for so the ML could see what training does for across these non race outcomes.

The strategies for getting a rider faster for races or faster for club rides is the sameā€¦.our bodies respond to training stresses - they donā€™t know if we are racing or just looking to go faster on a club ride.

4 Likes