We have a new Cycling Science Explained video!
Scientific research has shown that altitude training can give you a 1-2% benefit in performance.
Researchers say prolonged exposure to altitude increases your red blood cell count, which allows your blood to carry more oxygen.
After the red blood cell count increase has been achieved, you can return to low elevation and achieve that 1-2% performance improvement.
It’s a very logical chain of events to follow, but what is less logical is that, based on research, it seems the odds of altitude training actually making you faster are not good. In fact, some research claims it works less than 50% of the time.
So what does this mean for altitude training? Should you avoid it, or try it? And if you do try it, what can you do to increase your odds of it working?
Tune in to find out, and leave your comments below!
// STUDIES REFERENCED IN THIS VIDEO
Hypoxic Training Is Beneficial in Elite Athletes - 2020, Millet, Brocherie: https://trainerroad.cc/Millet2020
Hypoxic Training Is Not Beneficial in Elite Athletes - 2020, Seibenmann: https://trainerroad.cc/Seibenmann2020
Individual variation in response to altitude training - 1998, Chapman: https://trainerroad.cc/Chapman1998
Reproducibility of Performance Changes to Simulated Live High/Train Low Altitude - 2009, Robertson: https://trainerroad.cc/Robertson2009
// TRY TRAINERROAD RISK FREE FOR 30 DAYS!
TrainerRoad is the #1 cycling training app. No other cycling app is more effective. Over 13,000 positive reviews, a 4.9 star App Store rating.
Adaptive Training from TrainerRoad uses machine learning and science-based coaching principles to continually assess your performance and intelligently adjust your training plan. It trains you as an individual and makes you a faster cyclist.
Learn more about TrainerRoad: Cycling Planning, Training, & Analytics - TrainerRoad
Learn more about Adaptive Training: Adaptive Training: The Right Workout. Every Time. - TrainerRoad
// WATCH NEXT (A FEW OF OUR BEST VIDEOS)
• The Chase: An Inside Look at What It Takes to Be The Best: The Chase: An Inside Look at What It Takes to Be the Best - YouTube
• Strength Training for Cyclists: Strength Training for Cyclists: 5 Exercises to Integrate Into Your Cycling Training Plan - YouTube
• How to Become a Faster Mountain Biker How to Become a Faster Mountain Biker - MTB Skills with Lee Likes Bikes - YouTube
• Injury Prevention, Cross Winds, Tactics for Small Teams and More: Injury Prevention, Cross Winds, Tactics for Small Teams and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 238 - YouTube
• Race Analysis – What to Do When You Bridge to a Breakaway: What to Do When You Bridge to a Breakaway - YouTube
// STAY IN TOUCH
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/trainerroad/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/TrainerRoad
• Strava Club: Reno, Nevada Club | TrainerRoad on Strava
• Facebook: TrainerRoad