Do you pause your ride during breaks?

This is my first season riding in groups, and I noticed when we would stop to allow the group to recollect everyone would hit pause on their respective head units. What is the generally accepted best practice for this? I’ve always allow my head unit to continue (I disable autopause) with the rationale that I don’t want to record a 2hr power PR if I actually stopped for two or three breaks. I would prefer that my rides and records reflect the rests that I took. Thoughts?

I pause if I’m doing a cafe stop. If it’s just to regroup I let it run since it’s not a long stop.

2 Likes

This may be a silly question, but don’t most head units default to auto-pause when they detect no movement anyways? (My wahoo definitely does)

Regardless, what’s the benefit to pausing the ride at every stop light/coffee stop/hill crest? To inflate your ride numbers? :sweat_smile: I generally rely on NP, IP, and TSS as a good indicator of my outdoor ride/workout and you can always leverage the lap button if you want to segregate data for a particular climb or segment.

4 Likes

That’s not how it usually works.

3 Likes

Both my Garmin and Wahoo had auto-pause enabled as factory standard. I agree it seems like more of an ego thing. Like most things data driven, I think it probably doesn’t matter as long as you’re consistent so that you can make valuable comparisons.

2 Likes

When I first got back into road cycling three years ago, the only metric I cared about was average speed. Now I don’t. I believe hitting pause is driven by a desire to see higher average speed, by removing downtime from traffic lights. Auto-pause accomplishes that, so not sure why they are manually hitting pause.

Average speed is the only metric that comes up at the end of every club group ride. Some riders and ride leaders strive for say 20mph average, and will adjust pace during a ride to stay on track. For those riders they focus on two head unit metrics - average speed, and current speed to maintain a steady pace while they are pulling.

2 Likes

I don’t ever hit pause. I think I have auto pause on with regard to averages but at least for ride time, I still see those flat line coffee shop stops in my data. I actually like that. 3 hours straight is not the same as 3 hours with a 30 minute stop in the middle, or a 5 minute stop in the middle. With the breaks in there, I can compare apples to apples if I want to.

Plus a nice long coffee stop now and then should be logged and memorialized. I’ve also seen people use stoppage data to call out other’s pathetic flat repair times post ride . . . .

1 Like

My Elemnt Bolt pauses automagically at stop lights, let alone cafe breaks!

2 Likes

Vote for auto pause

1 Like

We are only comparing ourselves to ourselves, at least I am, so pause, auto-pause, or let it run doesn’t really matter as long as it’s consistent.
I’m a auto pauser.

1 Like

I pause for longer stops unless I need to let it run to keep the ride green on TrainingPeaks #secretshame

2 Likes

I let it run since i need to know my elapsed time and keep my wife happy. I don’t do many group rides though and where i live has minimal stoplights.

1 Like

Isn’t this all moot given that moving time and elapsed time are both recorded AND not to mention that peak power numbers will not be fooled by breaks whether you pause or not.

3 Likes

Average power and normal power will be effected, and will certainly be different depending on if you pause or not. Power PRs are effected as well. I got a 2hr power pr on a group ride that I knew was inaccurate, because the unit thought I rode for two hours straight, when I actually had three breaks in there. To me, that’s not a real power pr.

I’ll pause if I know it’s going to be a longish break (more than a few minutes), but most of the time I don’t bother because I will likely forget to start it up again even though it tries to remind me when it senses movement.

For a while I did use the auto-pause feature until I did a long MTB race that included some very steep slow, multiple switchback climbs and the Garmin kept doing the auto pause thing and then restarting. It was demoralizing that I was going so slow that my Garmin thought I was totally stopped. So I turned that off and no longer feel judged by my Garmin. :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t have breaks during my rides. :scream:

The only breaks that I have had during the years have been due to punctures and crashes. I have not bothered to stop the computer because of those.

Maybe it is time for you to switch your stats service? :wink:

https://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/204070234-Why-is-there-a-difference-in-my-data-between-Garmin-Connect-and-TrainingPeaks-

2 Likes

Auto pause distorts the truth of a ride. If you use analysis software such as WKO4 you are feeding it garbage data by using auto pause, it affects things such as Pwr:HR as your heart rate drops whilst you are resting. If you stop mid-ride at a cafe, it’s better to save the ride as two rides as this gives you a much truer representation of what you actually did.

I no longer use auto pause and have much better data now as a result, the stravafication of cycling has an awful lot to answer for.