Do I need more Base

Ok so I’ll keep this as brief as possible, I ride to work and back 5 days a week 48 weeks a year. Commute is 11miles each way without extra added on but roughly hit 150-180 miles a week. Lots of stop start with traffic which can’t be avoided so my general commutes match up from an intensity and power output to that of a sweet spot base session. I always get FTP gains from build and specialty plans but seem to stagnate on the base plans. Should I ignore the base plans due to daily rides and just concentrate on build etc, your opinions please.

My opinion: if you’re going to do the program, do the program and fill in w/ Z2 rides. Not enough info to comment further.

That’s quite a lot of base that you’re coming into the training season with. We’ve written an article on this topic, and you could certainly skip the Base phase.

However, if you decide to do it anyway, just keep your commute miles a little lower on the intensity side, and you may see improvements due to the structured nature of the plan.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link Larry