Dirty Kanza 2020 Discussion, Training & Racing (DK200)

They won’t push it. It will start at 6am. It’s still an adventure race remember. You need to be ready for everything. Even a mass start in the dark. You will still have 14:38. Though I just looked…looks like it’s 14:41.

Regardless @Nate_Pearson you will have zero issues beating the sun.

1 Like

Racing the sun means starting at sun up and beating the sun before it sets. If you finish in the dark you failed. Equating the time back to May is bogus and tainted, and if you do there will always be as asterisk on the effort. But hey, you got a gift of three plus extra months of training so use the time to get faster! Right? Yeah, right! Easy pizzy, go beat the real sun time. Lol

1 Like

You have now cursed me to have 7 flats.

2 Likes

Ha. You’ll be ok there too. Just don’t ride like a goon and you’ll be fine!

I’m down to two tire choices for Dirty Kanza 200.

1. 38mm - Vitorria Terreno Zero - 510g

2. 42mm - Specialized Pathfinder Pro - 550g

I really want to see rolling resistance figures between the two. If they roll the same, I’d go with the Pathfinder. But in my experience, the Vitorria Graphine 2.0 compound rolls really fast.

There might be a 10 total watt difference a tiny bit of weight. That would be enough for me to run 38s.

I just put the Terreno Zeroes on my gravel bike about a month ago…most of the “gravel” I ride is flat, packed “kitty litter” paths (only option in the Chicago area).

I did a ride out in western IL that was more true gravel / dirt roads…on steeper pitches (which would be similar to what you’ll find in DK) I wasn’t too impressed with the traction.

Compared to what the front group riders used last year those terreno zeroes look very very slick! For DK I like to think the fastest tyre is the one that doesn’t puncture, so minimising this will be my priority. I’ll stick to my trusty Panaracer gravel kings SK+, 38c back + 43c front.

and comfort, better be comfortable for 200 miles.

Amanda Nauman rode the Vittoria Terreno Zeros at DK and got second.

Colin Strickland road the Pathfinder Pros and won.

I feel like the Pathfinder Pros and Terreno Zeros are very similar tires. They both seem to have more casing down the middle.

I’m not sure what the most common type of flats are at DK but that seems like it would help.

Amanda will be at least 20kg lighter than both of us, so she can afford to run 38s with a lower pressure… At ~85kg I would prefer something with more aggressive thread and/or larger volume to allow to run a comfortable pressure as comfort will turn into speed in a long 200 miles day.

I would definitely go for the pathfinder 42s between your 2 options for a big rider like you.

BTW, Colin punctured twice and had to insert a plug to seal one of those, so not a bad idea to get familiar with plug installation!

Disregarding comfort, I think 38s vs 42s comes down to your riding style somewhat. My observation has been that most flats occur two places:

1. the low spots between rolling hills, where loose rocks accumulate and people plow into them with high speed to pinch flat or cut a sidewall
  2. in the weeds between tire tracks in the middle of the road, where rocks hide but aren’t visible

#1 is far more common than #2

Amanda can ride 38s because she’s light, but also because as a pro cross racer she’s great and picking her tracks and avoiding those pitfalls. She’s got skills, and she’s used to riding tough conditions on 33s.

I’d say 42s are more appropriate if you’re less likely with finding a good line, avoiding the dangers, or just expect to plow into things as fatigue grows.

On this course, especially with Little Egypt Road in the mix, I expect you’ll see more people on 42s than 38s. Here’s a shot from DK’s site of Little Egypt last year.

1 Like

Very good points. Another consideration is that if you’re planning to draft you’re not always aware of the best line or incoming rough sections and only takes one rider in front of you to be distracted to get into a less ideal situation.

Regarding plug installation, I obviously mean that will be a great skill for any tyre at DK not just the pathfinders :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Nate_Pearson - I know I recommended the Zeroes originally, and that is what I will be running. I weigh 30 lbs less than you though. You would likely have to run them over 40psi. The 42s are the safer bet.

DK staff Just confirmed that the Race the Sun finish time for September is still 8:45pm. Race start is still 6:00am. Plan for lights to navigate at both the start and finish, not just visibility.

I opted for the 2021 deferral…not feeling confident that the September date will happen at this point. Hopeful but not optimistic.

Hey Nate,

I would prioritize size (wider is better) and durability over rolling resistance. Being more comfortable and having no to fewer flats is way faster!

1 Like

Me too

Absolutely agree. Rolling resistance will be quickly negated by a flat tire. There are plenty of sections where the difference in rolling resistance between tires that are 4mm difference in width is near, or at, zero.

Go wide. Don’t overthink rolling resistance. It hardly matters and is not the most important factor.

1 Like

What do y’all think of the protection version of this new tire? Maybe run it in a 43?

That tire seems pretty smooth for DK, also will you be able to get a set since they are not being released till middle of summer and production is slow on tires from asia right now.