Dieting support group 2020

@Berggeiss My Typo sorry. Read my edited post above :wink:

Unfortunately the human body is not as black and white as you would like to portray, even if you look at simple sugars like glucose and fructose, same calories of either go through very different metabolic processes.

Fructose doesn’t stimulate the centers of the brain which lead to a feeling of fullness and also in larger doses causes insulin resistance, leading to more fat gain etc…

Take 100 calories of protein, almost 25-30% of that is lost as heat due to thermic effects due to the way it is metabolized, 100 calories of carbs you lose 6-8% of the calories to heat…

I could go on, but you should understand, not all calories are created equal so its inaccurate to say that calories in vs calories out is the be all end all.

1 Like

Here are some peer reviewed scientific journals stating calories In vs calories out is the only way to lose weight. We are still waiting for you to post some that say otherwise, until then, have a nice day as I’m not going to argue against a point with zero evidence.

2 Likes

Your second link kind of proves that calories in is not always the same.

In general, carbohydrates and fats are completely oxidized in the body. In contrast, protein is only partially oxidized, resulting in the excretion of urea and other nitrogenous products. Oxidation of 1 g of dietary carbohydrate and 1 g of dietary protein (which is oxidized to urea) each yield approximately 4 kcal, whereas oxidation of 1 g of alcohol yields approximately 7 kcal and oxidation of 1 g of dietary fat yields approximately 9 kcal. The energy cost of storing dietary fats as triglycerides is lower than that of converting protein or carbohydrates into fat.

Therefore, 2000 of calories in of fat is not the same as 2000 calories in of protein.

That said, net energy balance is what counts. I think that jeremybnz is saying that eating a certain way (keto for now) allows him to maintain a net negative energy balance.

1 Like

Yep - chronobiology plays a part too! Calories in/calories out is far too simplistic.

1 Like

Its pretty easy to find a study that confirms a bias, just look at the ones saying dairy is great for you, sponsored by the dairy industry :laughing:

ANYWAYS, Besides the trolling. Hit 164 lbs today, down from 190 in mid-November. Hit a deadlift pr of 365 so strength is holding in their despite being on a fairly aggressive calorie deficit for biking 5 days a week and lifting 3 days a week. Shooting for 155 lb race weight for this summer so just under 10lb to go. I’ve switched over from eating oatmeal for breakfast to a whey protein shake with almond milk and this keeps me full until lunch much better than when I was eating oatmeal.

1 Like

Yes, but as a vegan diet has more fibre it’s easier not to overeat. It can be far less calorie dense than a diet eating animal derived produce (as long as you’re making healthy choices, which as they are losing weight they probably are.

1 Like

So yesterday I was just exhausted all day and legs were extra sore for not much reason. I did a 60 mile ride on Saturday but it wasn’t that hard. Have other people noticed sore muscles from glycogen depletion? As I said above, I ran a 1200 calorie deficit Saturday because of the long ride.

Yesterday I took a day off, and went over the calorie budget by 300. Today I wake up feeling good. The soreness in the legs is gone and my HRV rebounded into the top of my good range.

1 Like

So i have been using MFP. I have picked a sedentary activity level (office job). For all my TR rides I use my PM to estimate the extra calories I have burned. But in the last year for my running my Garmin 910XT has been showing some strange calorie burns. Yesterday I ran 45min, ~8km (im 5-10" and 230lbs avg HR around 160) and garmin says 330 cal. All the running calculators i have found online say around 700-800 which is more believable to me. Am i way off? or is the garmin?

thanks,

I got back on the bike last June being 196 pounds (@ 5’8’')

I got down to 160 in January without needing to diet, but haven’t lost a single pound since. I think the time of easy weight loss is over :sob:

Are you guys able to diet when doing structured training? If so, do you diet during some phases more than others?

I have been using LoseIt! to count calories since I started TR this past December. I did lose 35 pounds a couple of years ago counting calories so it has worked for me. I have only done SSB1 as I started with it and then plan builder has me repeating it again (though I am upping time on bike from LV to more of a MV plan).

I do make sure that I fuel while I am on the bike and I tend to eat my calories back that I burned on the bike so I only end up with a 300-500 calorie deficit for the day. I am down like 8 pounds in the just over 2 months - which I will take with the holiday’s in there and not being to strict with myself then.

Not sure if you consider the calorie counting as a diet as I do not. I figure it is just paying attention to what I am eating and making sure I do not eat more than I need to.

1 Like

I’m doing base miles right now and lifting while trying to lose. It’s working. I’ve lost a few pounds and I look leaner.

I’m trying to hack the weight loss in the following manner:

eat enough carbs to support the training (not sugars though): 300-400grams of carb per day on ride days

eat enough protein to promote muscle growth and prevent any muscle loss. trying to acheive 4 or 5 x 20grams of protein (minimum). I usually end the day around 130-150 grams.

So my calorie deficit should come from mostly dietary fat. Dietary fat goes straight to fat stores unless your body has an immediate need to burn it.

Plus I’m doing base miles in the optimum fat burning zone so that should be added pressure on my body to use fat stores.

I’m also using Lose It! to track food and macros.

It will be interesting to see if my approach works and powers me through to my goal weight.

I’ve been not wanting to actually diet because I hate being hungry all the time. Having tracked for a few weeks I hardly find that I’m hungry. I’m also 53 and have been stuck with that last 15-20 pounds for a long time.

1 Like

Interestingly, I was listening to a podcast where this body builder who was new to the sport was describing how his nutrition had changed for body building. The first thing he said was that his plan was 7 x 50 grams of protein per day. He claimed that this really started remodeling his body and allowing him to put on muscle.

I got the 4 to 5 x 20 grams from a sports nutrition podcast I listen to.

I just ate 4 cookies and they were delicious

9 Likes

I’m down from 85kg to 79kg since December. I’m around 11% bf now

The goal is 75kg, I don’t know if I’ll be able to make that though and keep the power going up though. But really the idea is 4W/kg some how, some way!

2 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

January 2019 I notice some extra weight from the Christmas cheer had crept on to my waist this probably started with a fall in October 2018 which limited the riding on the bike for several weeks. starting at 98kg I target carbs and kept animal protein down to 100g per meal and ate this diet for about 12 weeks and managed to take my weight down to 83kg. Still fueled for the workouts which included TR from March 2019 i managed to stabilize the weight at 85kg until September 2019 another fall of the bike but this time Christmas didn’t change my weight but fueling the workout has seen an increase to 89kg. I have a UCI Grand Fondo in April so working through a rolling road race plan thanks to PB which has just transformed from SSBMV2 to build rolling road race the volume is increasing (i.e. more fuel needed) and the intensity has gone up with more VO2 and over under work outs! What do I do?

Trying to get re-tracked here, too… I was down to 167 (5’11"; 57 yrs old) for quite awhile over autumn 2018-spring 2019, I was ripped and riding really well. Then went through a major move, job change, terrain change… a lot of change… and ended up around 182 by autumn 2019. Trying to get that back off…

I went vegan a couple months ago - that shaved about 4-5 pounds and greatly increased the quality of my food. Then, quit alcohol after Christmas - that shaved another 2-3 and I’m now kinda stuck at 174. It’s amazing how much body size and sense of heaviness that 7 pounds adds.

I got to 167 on a greater protein:carb ratio than what I’m doing now, and also eating a lot less on the bike than what most coaches recommend. Workouts do feel snappier with on-bike solid intake, but that does nothing to blunt the post-ride hunger I feel… so it just ends up being added calories and more weight.

Just venting I guess… I sometimes wonder how much I really get from the on-bike feeding besides just being fatter. My ride data doesn’t really support the concept, for me.

Calories in calories out is timeless, and will always apply without exception. It is literally defined by the law of conservation of energy, the most concrete definition that is applied to scientific concepts.

Anything else, diets, strategies, etc, are methods an individual can employ to make achieving a calorie deficit more palatable/achievable.

5 Likes