Dairy Milk vs Non Dairy Milk

Thought this thread was going to be about chocolate… :disappointed:

18 Likes

This :point_up_2:t2:

Also milk is produced mostly with factory farming these days. Which means it can contain a lot of contaminants like pesticides, antibiotics, and all kinds of veterinary drugs. Of course this very much depends on the where and how of the production.

Happened accidentally for me. I grew up drinking tons of milk, by the glass and in cereal, always picked up the lots-of-fat whole milk gallon jugs at the grocery, half-and-half in coffee, etc. Husband and I went on the paleo diet a few years ago and swapped to coconut or almond milk for the duration. We both ended up not really liking the taste or texture of dairy milk after that. We do oat milk for coffee now, and otherwise don’t really use milk unless we’re baking.

1 Like

I am an almond milk drink and I wrestle with that dilemma often. I like the taste of almond milk, but realize the water consumption impact that it poses.

I drink oat milk, mainly for two reasons. 1, mild gastro distress from lactose and 2, sustainability. At some point in the future we will all be wrestling with the need to reduce environmental effects of too many grazing animals. I’ve decided to adjust on my own.

I think this point was several decades ago :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

based on the explosion of keto and other low-carb diets, most don’t see that.

That’s only because there’s no Almond Board in Canada to ensure healthy profits. The Dairy Board, however, does all it can to ensure the average dairy farmer earns 4x the average Canadian income via high prices. As a matter of fact, dairy prices recently increased ~10%. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
There’s also the whole dairy-mafia connection stuff, but that’s another story.

I enjoy milk but I don’t drink it purely for economic boycott/personal embargo reasons.

Sorry, but I have to get it off my chest. Calling anything other than Milk “milk” sets me off. They’re not milk. They are water with a tiny amount of almonds (typically 2 to 3 %), oats or whatever with a bunch of additives. Call it oat water, almond water, just not milk. deep sigh

3 Likes

Let me guess…you also get riled up by vegan “steak” too?

1 Like

Peanut butter, coconut cream, hot dogs, etc. Browsing the supermarket must send his blood pressure through the roof :laughing:

4 Likes

It’s verb milk, not noun milk.

You could milk a banana or an octopus or a gullible senior citizen if you really wanted. :thinking:

3 Likes

Me too. And the sad fact that British Cadbury is a billion times better than American Cadbury, so I always order mine from the UK and wait for the Royal Mail. :slight_smile:

Milk is not exclusively used to describe animal lactation. the root of “lact” is actually lettuce and pretty much every culture has used the term milk to describe various non-“milk” things as “milk” for thousands of years.

1 Like

Good call. Cut a head of lettuce from your garden and watch the milk seep out from the stalk.

Both suck! If you’re ordering try and get something Swiss, or German as a last resort :slight_smile:

Milk has a Standard of Identity documented in the CFR (Title 21, Vol. 2):

Dairy industry has been trying to get the FDA to enforce this standard on plant based products.

(a) Description. Milk is the lacteal secretion, practically free from colostrum, obtained by the complete milking of one or more healthy cows. Milk that is in final package form for beverage use shall have been pasteurized or ultrapasteurized, and shall contain not less than 8 1/4 percent milk solids not fat and not less than 3 1/4 percent milkfat. Milk may have been adjusted by separating part of the milkfat therefrom, or by adding thereto cream, concentrated milk, dry whole milk, skim milk, concentrated skim milk, or nonfat dry milk. Milk may be homogenized.

Pretty sure that you can’t call these drinks ‘milk’ anymore in the EU officially, they are now ‘soya drink’ or whatever.

so does that mean breast milk from a human isn’t milk or that milk from other mammals isn’t milk? Goats?, Sheep? US federal regulations aside, my point is that it has been culturally acceptable by almost most cultures across all of history to have a more “fluid” definition of milk. pardon the pun.

If they would be forced to write this on the box, milk sales would plummet for sure :joy:

1 Like