Cycling Fashion, or how to annoy everybody all at once

OMG. You went there.

1 Like

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

5 Likes

Am I doing this wrong?

6 Likes

Yes. Your eyebrows need a trim

1 Like

Nice coordination of bar tape, gloves, sunnies, but did you have trouble deciding whether to ride your orange or green trimmed bike that day?
Don’t let these guys see you https://cyclingfashionweek.com/

1 Like

I’m new to cycling, what’s with the no ankle or low socks thing? Why’s it so bad?

Note: I only wear ankle socks on the trainer to help cooling but would love to know where it’s cone from lol

1 Like

I ride MTB, which I think is relevant. I always wear a biking cap (w/ short, steep visor) under my helmet (sweat runs out to end of visor, not in eyes). I usually wear lycra shorts, and with midheight hiking boots. Oh, and for sunglasses (I wear Rx glasses all the time), I wear clip-ons sunnies so I can flip them up in the shade and when it gets dusk.

1 Like

I was a convert from running to cycling. While running, the lower the sock, the better. I assumed the same to be true in cycling, but a number of cyclists in a group ride reminded me that it was not. I still wear them from time to time, but I’ve upped my sock game over the years. Some may think you to be a triathlete, so beware…

1 Like

The slander against ankle height socks is ahistorical and shows a complete lack of knowledge and appreciation for cycling history.

Also, LA did not start the black sock trend. It had been well-established in the MTB world for at least a half-decade before -7 ever first stood on the podium in Paris.

People who complaining that knee warmers make no sense because there is only a inch or two between the warmers and their socks fail to realize that their socks are simply too high.

Young kids and their stupid fashion trends….get off my lawn!!!

1 Like

Ok, can you elaborate so I can learn a little and appreciate some of cycling’s history.

No directed at you but no one has ever given an answer on why.

Until ~the last decade, ankle height socks were the norm….mid-calf height socks are a recent phenomenon.

You can argue they aren’t “on trend” but to argue that they are the sign of a Fred is ahistorical.

Now get off my lawn, I have clouds to yell at!! :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

It’s just fashion. That’s it. Modern road cyclists tend to not wear sleeveless jerseys or short socks. Triathletes tend to wear those. Mountain bikers tend to not wear bibshorts, but they wear baggies. Roadies tend to do the opposite. They all give each other a hard time about their different fashion. That’s it. There’s no “reason”. It’s kind of like how the Army and the Navy give each other a hard time, or opposing schools make fun of each others mascots and colors. We do the same within disciplines too, hence this thread talking about things like leg warmers inside/outside socks, glasses inside/outside straps, jerseys that are subdued versus jerseys that are loud…etc.

The one I’ve never figured out is why we wear helmets with visors in the woods, and helmets with no visors on the road.

8 Likes

Aerodynamics primarily. Not as big a factor for MTB so the benefits of a visor can outweigh aero concerns.

Whatever is on sale and comfy. Plus I’m a little color blind. So pretty much everything goes with anything. I do try to match socks (left right) same with shoes.

3 Likes

Could be! I carry far too much extra weight to worry about saving a watt on my helmet, but would still never wear a visor on the road. I’d rather be blinded by the sun every morning because I’m “cool”. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I do black everything but jerseys (and my silver helmet). Easy mix-and-match. I only wear tall socks on group rides/races to be socially acceptable. For all else, ankle high to avoid the tan lines when wearing heels/dresses at work. Considering picking up some sleeveless (or full sleeved summerweight) jerseys for tan line reasons as well.

Opinions on cycling caps?

2 Likes

Overtake other riders wearing SPD sandals on a 3 speed roadster

1 Like

Thanks. At least I understand now

1 Like

How do those anti ankle socks people feel about really fast guys doing it?

Is there nothing that can make it acceptable?

What if pogacar or wout turned up with ankle socks?

If you’re strong enough you can do/wear whatever you want.

8 Likes