CX/MTB shoes extra wide fit? Recommendations please

I have small 5 1/2 UK, 38-39 EU size feet. But they make womens shoes soooooo narrow it hurts.
I have very wide feet (bit like a camel) and want some shoes that I can bear to be in for 2 hours+.
These will be better for long MTB/bikepacking /endurance.
I also don’t much like the boa system , and have broken 3 so far. I now use duck tape :rofl:
Has anyone got the same issue? Could you recommend me any ? Must be available in UK/EU. :dromedary_camel: :dromedary_camel: :dromedary_camel:

1 Like

Lake and Northwave are the brands I have heard offer some great wide options. No idea if that goes down to the small sizes, or if they are in the UK/EU, but could be worth a look too.

2 Likes

I have a EEE shoe width and I own four pairs of Lakes, far and away the best wide foot option for me. Other wide brands are the above mentioned, as well as Giro, which has a few “high volume” options.

1 Like

+1 for Lake, they actually use a wider last and their sizing guide is pretty good. I much prefer them to my wide Shimano shoes.

2 Likes

Another +1 for Lake. When I bought mine last year, I ordered a few different shoes, Shimano XC7E (wide), Sidi Eagle 7 Mega, Lake MX176 wide, and MX237 wide. I ended up keeping the MX237. The Sidi and Shimano felt like they used a regular sole/last and just gave it some extra upper material, while the Lake actually had a bigger toe box and just felt right for my wide feet.

2 Likes

There is a difference between big volume and wide shoes! As far as I know only Lake and Bont have wide shoes (wide sole and regular fit). Sidi Mega (and other brands wide models) are regular sole but with more volume!

I have really wide feet but normal height/volume and Lake was a game changer!

I’ve got specialized shoes road and MTB.But too narrow, so I might go and try on some lake shoes.
I have used them many years ago when sponsored by a team, and remember how comfortable they were.
I need to be able to run/walk in them too

1 Like

I would check out bont cycling shoes.

Wide feet and cycling shoes, what a drama. As others have already mentioned, many brands’ wide offerings are not really wide. Sidi for example. Others are more high volume. For me the only available option was Shimano. I have the top tier XC offering which has also a more supple upper. One model below has a stiffer upper. This makes even the wide option a feel a little narrow. Don’t know about more recent models though.

Spesh used to have good, wide options (many years ago) but they don’t sell them in the EU (or at least not for all models … may have changed though).

On Lake MX 145 winter xc shoes. In wide. I must say, it is not really wide. And I do not have the widest feet. Given the price tag I’m a little disappointed. However, with winter shoes the market for wide is even smaller. 15 years ago or so Northwave changed theier winter shoes last. Before that they were super wide, now Sidi like narrow.

I have Sidi Mega MTB and sole is not wide at all but I have planty room in toe area so I have lot of vertical movement. Lakes are totaly oposite

1 Like

adding to the Lake love. Their sizing charts are extremely helpful.

1 Like

+1 for Lake shoes. From my experience, they are in-fact wide but also high volume. Unfortunately for me, I have wide feet but a low instep, so there’s a lot of wiggle room even if I crank down the BOAs.

Shimano wides are not nearly wide enough for me, but it has lower volume so it works well enough for me.

Lake shoes explained

4 Likes

+Lake. Love those shoes.

It’s a pain. I now have a chillblain. Haven’t had one of those since I was a child and we all lived in freezing houses. Womens specific shoes are useless, so I go for mens in running and cycling, but getting a size 5 1/2 UK 39 EU is not easy.
I also hate the Boa system and have broken it 4 times. My best shoes were Specialized , low end price range, and had velcro straps. If you have feet like a camel, don’t ride a bike :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :dromedary_camel: :dromedary_camel: :dromedary_camel:

Check out bont cycling shoes. I just got a pair and they are awesome! Heat moldable to your foot. And you have to measure your foot to get correct sizing. They can also make custom shaped shoes for feet that are like no other.

I know that the original poster asked for CX/MTB but I’d like to throw in a plug for Lake road shoes.

To provide some background, I’ve been feeling inflammation and some tenderness in my right foot just below the ball. After a visit to a podiatrist and telling him what I’ve been feeling, he told me my shoes are too narrow. He said I’d be better off with a square toe box instead of a rounded toe box. When I showed him the shoes I had, he absolutely insisted I look for another shoe.

To that end, I searched around and read about Bont, Lake and some others. I settled on Lake and ordered a pair of Lake CX241 (in white!) shoes. According to Lake’s sizing guidelines, I needed a size 42 in standard width. I ordered directly from Lake, even though it cost me a little more compared to online retailers, to ensure I got the exact size the sizing guideline recommended. I ordered them on Monday (1/11) and they arrived this Thursday (1/14). I’m in the US. (The shoes shipped from Chicago and I’m in New England.)

Today I did McAdie (90 minute over/under workout) and my feet, specifically my feet felt great during and after the ride! This hasn’t happened in years!

Much more room and no squeezing of my feet. The shoe uses the Boa system with its wires/cables kept in place with a Velcro strap on the tongue of the shoe.

If you’re having similar problems, consider the Lake shoes. I know it’s only one ride, but a vast improvement over what I’ve been feeling for the past couple of years.

One more thing; I did call them a couple of times and they were very good and patient with my questions.

2 Likes

I have ordered the Lake wide fit mtb shoe. Looking forward to getting it after reading your positive comments on Lake shoes. I have just dug out an old pair to use until the new ones arrive. They are about 10 years old now and bright orange which matched my team (Torq) colours, when I was given a bike ,helmet ,shoes, bibs , etc etc. They were my most generous sponsors ,and I don’t think I appreciated the free stuff enough at the time!
Now I’m relegated to the Devo team and still get discount on their products, but sadly, just can’t push the pedals like i used to 20 years ago

Hope you enjoy the new shoes. I did pick up a set of specialized blue inserts to replace the stock lake inserts. I have medium/high arch and needed the extra support. Lake shoes with spesh inserts is spot on for me.

Ron

1 Like

I have ducks feet and for me Shimano works splendid. I bought wide but really didn’t have to.