CX/MTB shoes extra wide fit? Recommendations please

Lakes + shoe stretchers is what works for me. Anyone with wide feet should have a set of shoe stretchers.

Iā€™ve got them, and they re so comfortable. I will be able to do my 6 hour mtb rides in the Spring with no numbness/pins and needles/ rubbing/ chilblains /plantar fasciitis etc,etc :rofl: :dromedary_camel:

1 Like

I have the Sidi Trace 2 Megaā€™s in wide, and they fit fantastic. I will say that they are a better MTB XC shoe than a CX shoe due to them being pretty stiff. Worth a look!

Another happy customer! :grinning:

Itā€™s even worse if youā€™re female, because some clever numpty has made an assumption that all women have narrow feet and tiny toes.
So I donā€™t buy womensā€™ specific shoes, for cycling ,or running.
As for womenā€™s kit, the assumption that all women like pink. Even my road bike (specialized Amira) has a sneaky dash of pink on the fork and top tube!
Sorry, straying from the original subject a bit here :unicorn: :pig: :flamingo: :balloon:

2 Likes

At what point does Shimano consider you a wide foot and need to purchase their wide fit shoe option? I can find good detailed info on fit for Bont shoes, but for Shimano I havenā€™t been so lucky. Specifically, I am trying to find the same foot measurement (mm) chart for the new Shimano S-Phyre RC-902. As many of the reviews have noted, to which I agree, after trying on a pair the new S-Phyre is fitting more narrow around the ball of the foot. Iā€™m trying to determine if I should order a wide fit instead.

I donā€™t think Shimano has a size vs. width chart comparable to Bont or Lake. The only information I was able to dig up compares the relative dimensions of their lasts to each other:

Can anyone recommend a lightweight CX/MTB shoe with an actual wide fit? I had a pair of Lake MX237s, which were great fit-wise, but heavy. I currently have a pair of Shimano RX8 in wide. Really light and stiff, but not wide enough.

Lakeā€™s current offerings appear to be on the heavier side. From what Iā€™ve seen, Bont Vaypor G are pretty light.

And another one for Lake. Can confirm this. Also for me, some of the other brands ā€œwideā€ and ā€œmegaā€ versions just feel like an after thought and not as a fitting whole. Rather just some mindless ā€œoh for fā€¦ sake, lets just use a bit more upper material to silence the one who donā€™t suffer silentlyā€ by those brands. Lake instead are already better fitting just in the normal versions. And they have ā€œwideā€ as well.

I heard some positive mentions in regard of the S-Works Recon 3.0 MTB shoe also. For someone I know it solved his problems with Shimanoā€™s S-Phyre which were to tight in the toe box for him.

And then there are Bont shoes. These are also sculpted in regard of anatomical correct foot shapes and not to arrive at a nicely designed piece of sartorial jewelry like so many Italian based brands think shoes has to look.

Iā€™ve had the opposite experience. My Recons are fantastic shoes, but my S-Phyre have a wider toe box and I prefer the fit.

Strange - or rather: goes to show that you just canā€™t purchase shoes by pure size or hear say. You just have to try them on. And not only that inside the showroom, but you have to actually ride in them (had a few examples of shoes I sold later).

Might that be because of what other posts in this thread hinted? That the width of the toe box of the s-phyres is somehow un-correlated to their size?
Do you have the Recon 3.0 or others? Maybe there are different lasts used in between different Recon variants also?

1 Like

Adding to the Lake pile. Iā€™ve switched to their wide fit tri shoes a while ago and have been happy ever since.

I have the S-Works Recon

I completely agree with you. If you can, you really have to try on shoes before you buy, and one persons cushion is another persons torture device. I wear a 48/49, so itā€™s really hard to find high end shoes in stock. I have to either order direct and return or find an LBS thatā€™s willing to do that. Many are not. Iā€™d LOVE to try a pair of Bont shoes, but no one carries them where I live and orders from the manufacturer take weeks or months to get.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently using Sidi Dragon 5 Megas as my cx/mtb/gravel shoe. I have E width feet and there may even be too much room in there, so Iā€™m going to play around with different insoles.

Iā€™ve had Lake CX331 road shoes in wide width in the past and loved those shoes quite a bit. Iā€™ve tried Shimano XC70 in wide and they werenā€™t quite right for my foot; hard to say why though.

Iā€™d agree with Pbase too, shoes really need to be an in-person selection. Unless youā€™re reordering a pair that youā€™ve worn out, it really is quite necessary to try them on otherwise youā€™re going to have to get lucky online or buy/return until you get what you need. Itā€™s worth whatever premium to shop locally.

2 Likes