Widest spd mtb shoe?

Got funny feet and wide shoes work best. Have decent luck with sidi mega but looking for wide spd compatible mountain bike shoes of the “non xc racer” variety. Like skate style. Or “normal mtb shoe style” with laces. Does that make sense lol? What is the widest? Thanks :slight_smile:

Joe

Chrome Industries make some that are very similar to Vans in how they fit. Used them occasionally as a bike messenger when I had to do lots of running up stairs, and I have pretty wide feet too:)

1 Like

I have long feet that are wide in the toe box and Five Ten Freerider Pro shoes fit me great. I didn’t have to order up a size either.

2 Likes

Giro has HV+ shoes that equate to a 4E widths. The HVs are equal to 2E.

1 Like

I think Bont makes probably the widest cycling shoes. Their more expensive models come in e. g. Extra Wide and Asian Fit in addition to Wide. The shoe shape really accommodates wide feet (that I do have, too). However, the Bonts do not fit your description: they are very racy and stiff.

FWIW, I have a pair of Bont Riot+ MTB in 44 Wide, although my running shoes are Extra Wide.

1 Like

Try Lake shoes. Not lace up though.

1 Like

I have owned Northwave shoes in the past that fit your description. Despite my wide feet, they fit great. The only cycling shoe I have ever owned that wasn’t a wide model in fact.

These were not stiff, but wore like a sneaker. Even though they were really cheap (for cycling shoes, about 100 €, I think), they lasted over 8 years. Yes, they had holes in them and the sole was so worn down that they’d chew threw cleats in no time.

Lake do an extra wide fit in the mx series.

You’ll pay for it but they will be the best shoes you own.

Just FYI - I specifically mentioned what type of wide feet I have for a reason. Many people will say “I have wide feet and shoe X works”, but whether they are wide at the toes, in the middle, or at the heel really matters. I can’t tell you how many people have told me they love SiDi Mega’s, but they are torture devices with very narrow toe boxes for me. Many manufacturers use the same sole, but just add more leather to make the shoe “wider”, but for my feet, if the sole isn’t wider, the shoe isn’t wider.

The Sidi Megas I had were the worst cycling shoes I have ever had. The shoes had a soft sole, yet were uncomfortable to walk in. They were not comfortably soft like my Velokicks Lactics. It didn’t help that the screws rusted into the backplate even though I had greased the threads. My LBS had to take out their Dremel to get the screw off.

1 Like

Lots of good suggestions but most are for race style shoes or non spd shoes. Looking for something like the Five Ten Freerider Pro but with spd compatibility. And wide. Thanks guys :slight_smile:
Joe

I have the Five Ten Kestrel Pro Boa and they’re quite wide. Wider than the Freerider Pro, similar to the Shimano wide sizing that I like for road and gravel. Lots of volume in the toe box. I’m a big fan, enough that I have another pair in a box for when these wear out.

They make a lace version but I can’t say how they run, never tried them.

Edit: I’m talking about the old version. The new one looks dumb. I see they have the lace on sale in most sizes: I’m tempted to give them a shot, for $75 why not?

drat! Missed out on the size 12’s!

Amazon has them for $82

Five Ten Kestrel Lace Mountain Bike Shoes Men’s https://a.co/d/78KyhSC

1 Like

Specialized rime 2.0 off of the eBay sale is it! Thanks for the help :slight_smile:
Joe

2 Likes