Counting Calories, and counting workout calories?

The calorie in tracking cannot be highlighted enough. It really is important, especially as athletes where losing weight and building power might be the target, that you track accurately.

I was recently caught out when I realised that I’d been wayyy overeating rice and pasta due to the difference between cooked and uncooked weights!

Yep Totally agree with all of the above.
I have been loosing weight well recently and have been putting the toast on the scales before putting the spread on, adding oil by the table spoon etc.

From my experiance and from reading others here, if you are gaining weight while counting calories you are eather not counting everything/accurately or you just need to adust daily needs down by 200 calories and start again.

However, if you can loose weight without counting then Great! Counting calories is not the only way but for many it works well where other approaches didn’t.

1 Like

I actually read through your post a couple times trying to figure out how you were connecting the two and couldn’t figure it out. You propose a counter approach (tracking macros) that is actually exactly the same as counting calories. If you know your macros (protein, fat, and carbs) then you 100% know your calories…

You also propose fueling workouts separately from their daily diet - a thing that is impossible for many people. Simply stated, it is possible to burn more calories during a ride than you can possibly eat during the same amount of time.

I’m not convinced you’ve really proposed an justification for why it is a false paradigm in any of the posts you’ve linked. Certainly there are estimations involved, but these can be refined and made fairly accurate without anything other than some detailed, consistent tracking. I also cannot find your proposed alternative that isn’t essentially exactly the same thing as CICO.

Can you help me understand and write out what is flawed about it and what a better model would be?