Continental Grand Prix 5000 S TR Pressure

I’m at ~148lbs, and according to the Silca Pro pressure calculator for 25mm tires (nominally 26 measured) I should run:

• 84psi front
  • 86psi rear

So I could only use the 25 with hooked / crotchet rims, which luckily I have. So yeah, the max pressures for hookless rims are interesting to say the least when compared to recommended pressures.

2 Likes

Everyone needs tan walled tyres

3 Likes

The transparent is better looking but, FYI if you ride in any weather other than sunny and dry, these seem to get dark enough that it’s not much difference from the black ones. Not saying don’t hold out for them. IIRC that’s all Conti made back a number of years ago. Not 100% sure about that but, every conti I had was transparent which was just standard???

My first choice would be the cream sidewall. No idea if they will produce them any time soon for the S TR. I gave up looking for the regular TL version.

1 Like

I don’t know why they have bothered to produce 25mm unless they believe that the majority of people have hooked rims

It feels like the 25mm is only for users who have hooked / crotchet rims with an internal rim width of <= 21mm. Which is actually me :grinning:

My guess is that the 25mm is a transition tire / tire for “legacy” rims, as it isn’t approved for internal width rims >=23mm.

I think the majority of people probably still ride hooked. Hookless might be the majority in time but, from a business perspective it would be foolish to not make 25’s with so many hooked rims out there.

5 Likes

I don’t know why they bothered to produce hookless rims unless they believe that the majority of people have tyres wider than 25mm.

Seriously though I don’t think hookless makes sense on narrower rims so I don’t think the weird pressure requirements of the 25mm tyre are going to be much of a concern as people with wide rims should be running lower pressure anyway.

I think most of the hookless rims are optimised around a wider tire. So unlikely to be many people running 25mm and hookless. Also depends on road surface - rougher it gets the lower the optimised pressure. I’m a little lighter than you at 80kg and running 28mm tires on hookless rims on roads that are often pretty crappy, and the max tire pressure of 72 just doesn’t concern me at all.

I think the key thing is that by making these hookless compatible Continental have aligned with the ETRTO standard, which regardless of whether you’re using hooked or hookless should mean they fit more consistently on rims from manufacturers who are also aligning with that standard.

I’m already a little distressed at the 9lbs / 4kg I put on during COVID, don’t make me feel worse (I’m only ~67kg) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Went over to the LBS to order and QBP doesn’t even list them yet.

Sorry, mixed up your post with the one a few above with a 90kg rider!

1 Like

Sadly they don’t seem any faster.

Maybe… even slower if you compare to it with a tube.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem like much of an upgrade unless you’re obsessed with tanwalls (like me :rofl:). The tread is 0.5mm thinner too…wonder if that means you’re trading longevity for a minor weight savings?

Looking good is the most important aspect of going fast after all.

I’m intrigued how the 20% faster claim has been made. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like the interesting pressures are members only…
Also, the 80, 100 and 120 PSI tests are beyond the safety rating of the tire, only the 60 PSI test is below the maximum pressure.

2 Likes

Downgrade according to the puncture test. And a draw on rolling resistance. So its a downgrade at a higher price?!

3 Likes

The big upgrade is they are approved for use on hookless rims. If you just take the Enve and Zipp users who love Continentals but are nervous about using an unapproved tire, that alone is a pretty big pool of excited potential customers (I assume Enve will be adding the new 5000s to its approved tire list soon).

The rest is the usual iterative improvements Continental makes every couple years.

6 Likes

i’m 99% sure the tests are done on a hooked rim, so for a 25C tire everything but the 120 PSI tests are within the safety rating.

it’s only using the tire on a hookless rim where the maximum pressure is 73 PSI

4 Likes

BRR has been a great site over the years and I realize they want to make money but only showing 100 and 120psi figures now makes the site much less useful. And I don’t really need another subscription for something obscure as tire rolling resistance even though it’s only $10.

The price is only higher because it just came out and everybody wants it. I just bought the old TL version for $39.99. That will get me through the winter!

I think what may be obscuring the results is that the new tire is physically smaller. This kind of bums me out more than anything. I didn’t really want an even smaller 25mm tire and I can’t run larger on my current frame. I could care less about saving a couple watts in rolling resistance.

First column new tire, second old tire.

Measured Width 26 mm (un-round) 27 mm (un-round)
Measured Height 22 mm (un-round) 24 mm (un-round)

Something in the mail today.

3 Likes