Confession: What do you do that TrainerRoad doesn't recommend?

I swear at Coach Chad. Quite regularly. And I ignore him - not always, but sometimes. In particular when he suggests standing drills during threshold or over-under workouts. Then I ignore him and swear at him.

22 Likes

Look at my heartrate.

15 Likes

I do use the small chainring. however, the final minute of a ramp test is not a good time to discover you’ve reached your trainers power ceiling!

I regularly substitute a 1hr pettit for an outdoor 2-3 hour unstructured tempo ride, then wonder why the next days vo2 workout feels so damn hard. I never learn!

2 Likes

I’m often outside the 85-95 cadence range.

10 Likes

I not never do the drills… i just ignore the one that i don’t like…
i usually do the change on cadence or out of saddle…

3 Likes

Eat cake.
I am never going to stop my sweet tooth. But the rest of my diet is lots of veggies , gave up alcohol last year, so improvements to a degree

8 Likes

I think turning off workout text is my big one as well.

5 Likes

I was progressing through a long structured plan since around January but recently bc of the summer weather I’ve changed my mid volume (5 days/week) to SSB low volume so that I can fit in 2-3 of days of unstructured rides on top of my plan. Summers in Toronto are short and the weather is so nice that I don’t want to miss the enjoyment of longer endurance rides.

Once late fall rolls in I’ll be back indoors to 100% structured sessions.

6 Likes

Don’t do the ramp tests, at least while I am complying with plans. It low balled me too many times giving me lower FTP than I was completing at for the previous block. Just have a mental block about it now I think.

Don’t fuel enough/ slip back into dieting on the bike. Trying to fix this again starting tomorrow!

Relatively new one for me, as I’m only on zwift since lockdown, but I have got sucked into events rather than follow the plan. This week I swapped out the scheduled Tuesday endurance for the Tour Discovery Ride. Once in the pen, I can’t help myself. Then struggled through yesterdays Budawang +3. Actually, even there I’m kidding myself - I put on the HRM to make sure no zwiftpower issues!

I don’t think the general diet stuff is against recommendations though - my takeaway has been to not beat yourself up for some non-optimal choices?

4 Likes

Turning off the workout text.
I found it too repetitive after a while & couldn’t read it anyway when trying hard.

6 Likes

I find for some reason if I spin higher than that I can go quite a bit longer but spinning that is a grind for me and I wear out :-/

Probably what I tend to do most against TR guidance is get bored and do an extra punchy session at high cadence :rofl:

2 Likes

Life long picky eater still not eating enough veggies, and too much processed food. I don’t drink alcohol, but poor food choice is effectively my “vice” since I act in the opposite of what I know would be better for me.

13 Likes

Zwift.

(Full disclosure, I use TR for all my indoor workouts, Zwift is just for distraction).

8 Likes

Amen. Life long picky eater club. Eat Trash, Ride Fast

5 Likes

I feel like this should be renamed “Things TR doesn’t explicitly recommend but knows every cyclist does anyway” :stuck_out_tongue:

I train to heart rate a fair bit. Granted I consider it more of a secondary measure to power, and shorter efforts are obviously a watts-only game, but I reference it fairly frequently for longer intervals at FTP and below and use it to modulate my effort over longer tempo/endurance rides. It’s improved my training considerably- if nothing else, because I’ve gained a better understanding of how my RPE and performance can vary day by day, and to what extent that’s affected by external factors.

10 Likes

Training to HR is totally viable if the goal is building aerobic endurance, particularly in your base training. It just really loses value as you shift your training goals to higher outputs, shorter durations, or sustained threshold type efforts, and has limitations in terms of consistency varying with quality of diet, sleep, ambient temperature, outside stress, etc. Overall, power is more objective and consistent, but HR has its place IMO.

4 Likes

37 Likes

Exactly. I do them occassionally, but I really REALLY hate them. I just bump my FTP by 5-10 watts, depending on how easy the last two weeks of a plan went. And then I’ll see how long I hold out the first 2-3 workouts and then adjust accordingly. For me, it is is working great.

2 Likes

Fall asleep during the podcast.

Don’t get me wrong…I like it a lot, and don’t think it’s boring at all. but sometimes on my day off I’ll go lay in bed and turn on the podcast on youtube and be drooling on the pillow in like 5 minutes. either it’s simply deep fatigue, or the podcast does a good job of making me think about sciency bike training stuff and turns my brain off to the rest of life’s stresses that make me toss & turn more. or maybe it’s chad’s deep, calming voice.

10 Likes

You’re supposed to be in the small chainring?

1 Like