Concerned and Bored during Base

Could you post a screen shot of your calendar? I ask because I was under the impression that Plan Builder doesn’t ever put someone through the traditional base route. So you should have been going through Sweet Spot Base Low Volume. In which case, pretty much every ride is Tempo, Sweet Spot, or Over Unders. The Sweet Spot workouts should be pretty uncomfortable and maybe even challenging but definitely not ‘recovery’.

This would mean that you are probably missing the Over Under workout that is usually scheduled for the weekend. Moving forward, I might move things around so that you get your two hardest workouts of the week in during the week so that you are not missing out on those during your outdoor MTB rides.

I think the issue is probably just that your FTP is low. This could have been the case from the beginning or maybe you saw some quick gains. But it’s pretty common for people to under-test the first time they do the ramp test. That level of hurt isn’t something that I experience in many other scenarios on the bike. You gotta go til you don’t think you can pedal any more and then keep pedaling for another minute.

The workout you posted is most likely from the final week of the phase which is a recovery week before progressing to the next test and next phase. So even though it’s super boring I would stick through it and then get ready to SMASH the next ramp test. If the last weeks have been as easy as you say then you should see a big gain.

1 Like

you are correct, i was not doing the weekend training since i was riding.
i will move the weekend’s training to the Wednesday !!!
TKS

2 Likes

Generally the hardest (and usually most impactful) workouts of the week are the Tuesday and Saturday workouts. So I would try to prioritize those. If you are limited to 1 hour during the week then I would choose a shorter version of the Saturday (they’re usually 1.5 hours) but that hits the same structure.

Can you do your training rides Monday/Wednesday/Friday so you can get all 3 workouts for the week and leave your weekends open?

If all your rides feel like recovery your ftp is set too low. A workout like monitor or Carson you would feel in the legs for sure. I recommend you first talk to a support agent on the chat, they may be able to help you figure out if your test went ok. After that you can get to increase your intensity maybe 5-10% and see if you start feeling it.

If you ride outside and have experience you likely have some idea about what a hard effort feels like. A sweet spot workout may be RPE 6-7 depending on the length/experience even extending to 8.

Not unusual on the first ramp test because of the following. TR does some guesstimate of your ftp when you start and then the first test starts on the easy side of that.

Hard disagree, if you feel like you’re dying the whole way throughout Lamarck then either your FTP is set too high or you’re seriously lacking in muscle endurance. It should be more along the lines of what the person you’re replying to said:

What equipment are you using to measure power indoors and outdoors? (Which trainer / Powermeter).

You shouldn’t die at every workout - just at some. And with Sweet Spot low volume I’d say with most of them except the recovery week before the next FTP test. If you ace all of them and you feel like you could go way longer than I guess sth with your equipment is off or your FTP is incorrect.

Guys i know none of you are holding your breath for an update :slight_smile: but on Friday i did the FTP test and it went up by 6-8 points and started BASE 2 module this past Tuesday, and now it feels like training. i guess the low FTP and the BASE1 module was a bad combination but hopefully this new module will help me even more!!!
Thank you all for your comments!!!

6 Likes